S3 vs Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Testpattern, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Testpattern

Testpattern Testpattern

Dec 5, 2006
    OKC America

Advertisements

Our S3 has died and I'm discussing it's replacement with TiVo. This decision is basically between a refurb S3 or refurb Premiere. The Premiere is significantly more so my question is this... Is it worth $100+ if capacity isn't and issue and we already have a Roku for web continent?

2. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    IMHO: It is worth it to me. The Premier is going to get all the love from Tivo in the future.

If you are gonna stick with Tivo and can afford the extra $100, then why not give yourself the best advantage for support and upgrades in the future?

Robb

3. Geemer

Geemer New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    I love my Premier XL. I bought it as an upgrade for a still working Series 3 which is now in the master bedroom. The Series 2's are now upstairs in the game room.

I agree with Robbdoe1 that if you can afford it the Premier will be getting all the love from TiVo now and in the future so it gives you the best advantage.

4. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Will you miss the clock time displayed on the front of the S3?

Will you miss seeing the name of the show being recorded on the front of the S3?

5. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002

Advertisements

Is your S3 Lifetime? I assume its out of warranty - how much did they say it cost you to replace the s3?

6. barbeedoll

barbeedoll New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    A Series 3 has two cable cards. If one goes out you can still record on two lower level SD channels or one SD and one HD.

Premiere has one card. If it goes.....you are recording on one lower number SD channel.

I prefer the 2 cards.

Barbeedoll

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    2 cards = twice the rental fees, for me.

8. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Exactly!

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If all you care about is core DVR functionality the S3 is a much better and more stable box for that IMO, so I would stick to that. You may get lucky and have no issues with Premiere using classic UI but it's still a gamble and you will still be missing the OLED.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I've had no issues with my Premiere, using the Classic interface, until the other day -- it started making this horrible buzzing sound. So I opened it up and blew out the dust, and it's back to normal. It's noticeably faster than the S3, and I could never really read the OLED anyway (except for the clock).

Of course the OLED is marginally useful even when you can't read it, since you can at least tell if it's a scheduled recording (text title appears) or a suggestion (left side LED, but no text title). But since I always put my TiVos in Standby when I'm not using them, and the OLED goes away in Standby, that isn't much use either.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I wish I could say the same. I'd be very happy with the Premiere with classic UI if it didn't stop responding to any user input occasionally and more recently having a tendency to reboot after MRV'ing from it. I don't find the classic UI significantly faster (it is a little faster) than my S3 but TTG and MRV certainly are. Also the issue with the 30 sec skip frame freeze is still there which is a minor annoyance.

12. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I for one prefer the TiVo S3, HD, HDXL interface to the Premier interface. The legacy interface is so much more aesthetic without all the "billboard" ads for content in your face, and I like the network logos in the legacy interface. I even prefer our little TiVO friend in the corner bobbing his head. Oh, TiVo, so disappointing is the Premier. And yes, I love the OLED, and I can read it, and it does serve a very good purpose. As an S3 owner, there just aren't any compelling reasons' to upgrade. A DVDO Edge will solve the 1080P output preference and add it to other components. So there goes the 1080P advantage of the Premier right there.

13. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Save a little money to buy out-dated hardware?

I'm ALWAYS amazed people actually consider these things.

I'm thinking of buying a First-gen iPhone because it's $20 cheaper. I mean they both run apps and make phone calls, why NOT save $20 over a brand NEW model.

Makes about as much sense.

I have a HD XL. I have no real interest in buying a Premiere, the benefit isn't there for me. But if I needed to buy a TiVo I wouldn't waste my money buying the old model.

Save a few bucks for orphaned, old, out-dated technology?

Buy the Premiere. Don't WASTE, yes I said WASTE, your money on a USED S3.

P.S. IS a refurb actually LESS than a Premiere? I can buy a brand NEW Premiere with lifetime for $468 on TiVo.com through the "upgrade" program. Can you get a refurb with lifetime for that?

14. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    As someone who uses a front projector as his primary HDTV, I find the OLED display on the S3 quite useful. You shouldn't just fire up a bulb-powered projection display and then turn it off willy-nilly if you want that expensive bulb to last any reasonable length of time.

That said, the new TiVo iPad app, the quick as lightning content transfers, and getting the benefit of all of TiVo's new product enhancements all argue strongly in favor of buying a TiVo Premiere.

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Tivo.com sells Premiere refurbs for $99 and they are eligible for regular monthly sub price, so I assume you could buy one and then switch it to lifetime w/MSD after you get it.

OP, it wouldn't hurt to call and see if they'd just let you have it with lifetime from the get-go, $400 is not bad for a Premiere refurb. But what do you mean by 'our S3 has died'? Replacing a hard drive is a lot cheaper than buying another box.

16. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    Do refurbs from Tivo get the PLS discount to $299? I thought that refurbs were not eligible for discounted PLS.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Don't see why not, lots of folks got it on the woot.com refurb deal. But as usual with Tivo CSRs, it probably depends on who you get. Given that you can buy a brand-new one from them with lifetime for $479 (upgrade deal), it's not a huge discount to get a refurb + PLS for $400.

18. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Sounds great, except the DVDO Edge you speak of, it costs something like $400, doesn't it? That's kind of important to mention. Especially when someone's wondering if the Premiere is worth paying an extra $100 for.

19. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I don't have internet at home except tethering from my cell and I hear for the Premier to preform the best and to get the new screens it requires an internet connection. I am also not sure I want all that clutter on the screens as I can't use/view any of it anyways with no internet connection.

Anyone use the Premier with just a phone line? Without all the new screens is it really any different than the HD I have now?

20. joejet

joejet New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    This assumes a MSD at $299 for lifetime. However, once he disconnects the existing TIVO wont the price jump to $399 as you no longer have a qualifying full subscription?