S3 to S3 lite - can I transfer recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by joysbox, Sep 5, 2007.

1. joysbox

joysbox Happy Happy Joy Joy

Jun 27, 2003
    Leesburg, VA
    Have the S3, would consider buying S3 lite if this is possible.
    anyone know?
    j

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    no mrv on s3's yet

3. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    I'd consider buying an S3 lite if they made one ;-) (Sorry, I don't view a more capable peice of equipement as a 'lite' version just because the took off an OLED display, told Lucas that they weren't going to pay to have it certified, went back to the old remote, and put in a HDD that's 2/3's the capacity when I intend to rip it out anyway.)

That said, there will be no way to transfer HD recordings at all. But there may sometime in the distant future be able to transfer SD recordings via MRV if they ever enable it on the S3.

CCourtney

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Not true according to Tivo:
    http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/07/24/qanda-with-tivos-jim-denney-about-tivo-hd/

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    How is it more capable? That's a serious question.

6. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Tired of the "lite", don't call it that.

Call it TiVoHD, THD, but it's certainly not "S3 lite"

TiVoHD, THD, has a faster processor, more memory, and more up-to-date video chips that can better handle mpeg4 to mpeg2 conversion via hardware, m_card cable card support (you'll get it soon with the unified code base).

You've got an OLED screen front panel, larger initial harddrive, a nice backlit remote (which I've already got via promotion and get on the side), an packaged HDMI cable, THX certification (and from what I can tell the only difference is that TiVo paid for the certification on the S3, not TiVoHD), and it's on the 8.3 code base (which will be short lived once the code base is unified).

All in all, S3 has nice front-end OLED panel and some nice extras in packaging. TiVoHD is Series 3 based unit. It's a stretch to call TiVOHD superior or more capable at this point, but it's certainly no "lite" version of the S3.

The whole "lite" wording has been used by some in TiVo marketing because there is still S3 hardware inventory in the retail channel. How else do you expect them to get people to spend on average $300 more for it? Why else are they still honoring lifetime transfers for $199 to the S3?

The S3 is only worth the difference if you quantify the out-of-the-box value of the extra 120GB disk, backlit remote, OLED panel, and the HDMI cable....