S3 Tivo with ota antenna only?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by techieunite, Nov 16, 2006.

1. techieunite

techieunite New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Is it possible to actively use a S3 tivo without subscribing to digital cable?

I have a nice OTA antenna that gets a great HD signal and don't want to pay for the extra hd package from comcast. Currently I get channels 2-97 of standard cable.

Would I be able to use the Tivo to program the guide without having cable cards or will I have to setup manual recordings?

If I have to setup manual recordings, and am using an OTA antenna, will the S3 tivo still be able to record two shows at once? I will still be subscribing to the tivo service.

2. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    It will work just fine with dual tuners and full guide capabilities, no cablecards needed!

3. kido

kido New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    i am using a $30 radioshack antenna to get my local OTA HD channels. no problem at all. when running guided setup you just tell the tivo you are using both antenna and cable inputs and it presents everything (ota analog and digital + analog cable) in the guide. for the ota digital channels you receive clearly, you will most likely want to turn off the corresponding ota analog and cable channel in your channel list so the guide will no longer show those. there is even a cool signal strength utility that lets you adjust your antenna properly.

4. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I used my S3 with basic cable and OTA for two weeks without problems. You should think about upgrading to the “Enhanced Cable” package for $1.99 more a month. “Enhanced Cable” gets you the digital version of the same channels, which are far superior to the analog versions. You will need to get two cable cards for “Enhanced Cable”, but one comes free with the package and the other one cost an additional $4.95 a month.

5. techieunite

techieunite New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I currently have a series2 RS-TX20 and a series2 dual tuner. The problem that I have is that my series2 dual tuner is dropping audio like crazy. Usually multiple seconds per show.

I have a service plan on it through bestbuy, but their current selling price for the series 3 is still $799.00. I paid about $200 for my series2DT, but I'm still $500 off. I guess I'm just going to live with the problems that I'm having for a little while longer till I can save up more money.

Thanks for all the information.