S3 /Sony CRT with 16:9 Enhanced Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by aero_22, Feb 12, 2007.

1. aero_22

aero_22 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Morris...

Advertisements

Until I get a HDTV, I am using my S3 with a Sony 32" WEGA Flat-Tube Stereo TV with 16:9 Enhanced Mode (KV-32FS200).

I never really went into the display options within my Sony, but when I was setting up my S3 this weekend, I pulled the instruction manual for the TV and saw that it had "16:9 Enhanced Mode".

I am a cablevision subscriber and can access all the HD channels on my current TV (I know I am not getting full HD quality, but the picture looks much better than on the normal digital channels).

I am guessing that the 16:9 Enhanced mode will help with the HD channels?

If anyone has a similar setup (S3 with a TV that has Enhanced Mode) can you advise the best Aspect settings for both my S3 (on the Tivo menu screen that lets you choose 4:3, and so on) and my Sony TV with 16:9 (if there is a menu on the Sony TV to choose Aspect ratio - I am at work now and not in front of the TV)?

Thanks!

2. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    Does this TV have component in? I have a KV36 of some sort w/ component in. It does 480i, 480p, 1080i. I have my S3 set at 4x3 Smart Screen & 1080i Hybrid. In this mode, all the SD content (including the Tivo menus) is output in 4x3 (so full screen on the TV). HD content is output at 1080i, and the TV automatically letterboxes it. I forget how I have my TV setup - will also have to check that one at home.

3. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I have some sort of 34" widescreen Sony CRT. The only way I can get proper HD is to set my S3 to force all output to 720p or 1080i. I tried native mode but the Sony CRT does some kind of funky squeezing of the horizontal aspect and I get a skinny distortion. It is really hard to describe in words.

4. aero_22

aero_22 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Morris...
    I checked my Sony owners manual tonight - it has one set of component in (which I am using to connect to my S3) and the component has "480i only".

I tried out the 16:9 enhanced from my Sony TV setup menu, and it squishes the programs to have black bars on top and bottom, and the picture looks pretty bad.........

So, with a 480i input only on my TV, should I kee3 my TV setting to 4:3 or will 4:3 Smart Screen help out? On Tivo video output, would I see a difference if I set it to something above 480i?

5. legendarybc

legendarybc SDV is FUBAR'ed

Dec 17, 2006
    North Canton OH

Advertisements

The best aspect settings for your equipment is whatever you think looks the best. For what it's worth, I was never a fan of the 16:9 enhanced mode on the Sony CRT's. I would suggest you put the S3 in 4:3 and leave the Sony without the enhanced mode. But again, do whatever you like the best. It's fun to play with equipment.

BC

6. aero_22

aero_22 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Morris...
    Thanks. I am sticking with 4:3 on both my S3 and TV after checking out how the different options looked on the screen.