S3 remote - receiver control.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jjarmoc, Sep 22, 2006.

1. jjarmoc

jjarmoc New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Advertisements

I have my S3 remote set up to control my receiver so I can use it's mute, volume, etc..

My question -
    Is there any way to have the 'tv power' button turn on both the TV and Receiver? I can handle not being able to change receiver inputs, since it usually sits on the tivo input anyhow, but it's a pain having to use a second remote to turn on the receiver. Anyone found a solution short of using a 3rd party programmable remote? I really like the peanut.

2. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    maybe you can use the dvr 1 2 button and set one for the tv and the other for the receiver.

or you can use one button of the remote and let it learn the receiver on/off.

3. CallMeRich

CallMeRich New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Do the following in the order written:

1. press and hold TV POWER & TIVO, enter the TV code
    2. press and hold MUTE & TIVO, enter Rcvr code
    3. press and hold TV POWR & TIVO, enter Rcvr code again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. jjarmoc

jjarmoc New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. I just hope the second TV programming doesn't overwrite the first...

5. Wembley5

Wembley5 New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Daly City, CA

Advertisements

Another workaround would be if your Receiver has a power outlet on the back, plugging the TV's power cord into it, and not the wall.

6. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    It doesn't. My S3 remote turns my TV & Receiver on/off with one press. I've been doing this with TiVo remotes since 2002. :)

7. Gator1

Gator1 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    Orlando
    But can you get it to turn the TV on and at a different time, turn the Receiver on. Lets say I only wanted to use my received for DVD playback. I don't want it to come on when the tv comes on.

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    No.

9. jjarmoc

jjarmoc New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Wow, that works great! The TV Power button on the TiVo remote is controlling power for both devices - sweet!

Thanks everyone. I didn't know this was possible, but it's definitely great - single remote for TV viewing helps the WAF a great deal.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Anyone get this working for an Onkyo receiver? If so what code are you using? I can get the peanut to control the volume and mute functions, but not the power. I'm thinking it might be because the Onkyo uses discrete on and off buttons, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone else actually has it working.

Dan

11. TheTivoPenguin

TheTivoPenguin Lovin Our TiVo!!

Oct 12, 2002
    Newburgh NY
    I came here for this very same question. I can get it to control my Onkyo volume, but not the power.

I tried the exact steps as listed above, and none of the codes work for the power, even the one I'm using for the volume???

Thanks

12. maki

maki New Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I love this ability. Discovered it maybe a year after my first TiVo when I got a new remote. I've used it to power on/off my TV and stereo, and have setup the same for someone who I recently gave a TiVo.

Only problem is when you have a less responsive tv or stereo, or one seems to take more than one press to turn on or off. I end up frantically pressing the power button again to get the TV on while the stereo is powering on and non-receptive to another signal. ;)

Remote setup is always rather dreadful... have to first find the codes that work for you - and I've never actually made note of the sequence I use to set it up - but playing around with setting the codes should get it to work.

13. Sixto

Sixto Member TCF Club

Sep 16, 2005
    Amazing. For years never knew the power button could control both. Just tried it and it works!!!! Yahoo!!

14. BellevueTivoFan

BellevueTivoFan New Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I wanted to do the same thing however the codes available on the remote programming screen won't my program my remote to use my Sony STR-DG800 receiver. I had to cycle through the remote codes until i found the right one. So it works but since I dont know the code I can't program the peanut to turn off the power on both the TV and the receiver at the same time.
    Does anyone know if its possible to figure out the the remote code is once you've found it by cycling through them until you get it?

15. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I found that doing the prescribed steps caused the Onkyo to turn on, but wouldn't turn off. It must use discrete on/off codes.

My fix was to get a Harmony remote, which knows the specific details about the various models of A/V equipment (including the Series3).

16. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    I succeeded in using my Onkyo remote to train my S3's Input button to turn the receiver both on and off, so it is possible for the peanut to do both to an Onkyo with only one button. I just want that button to be the power button, which also turns my TV on and off. If I train the Power button, it loses its ability to control the TV.

I tried training the S3 remote with both the Onkyo and TV remotes at the same time (i.e., hold TiVo & Select, press Power, click the power buttons on both the Onkyo and TV remotes at the same time (!), press TiVo). Does anyone think that might work? It's difficult to press and aim three remotes at the same time.

At this point, I'm just leaving my receiver on all of the time, but expect an Earth First person at my door any moment now. :eek:

17. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Re: Using the TiVo remote to turn an Onkyo receiver both on and off.

I've tried all of the codes from 1000 to 1255. None of them could turn my Onkyo receiver both on and off. I didn't simply use the code-search function because I wanted to know the code for toggling the receiver's power, so I could program the power button for both my TV and receiver. (Code 1196 causes the TiVo's power button to switch the receiver's input to AM radio. A few codes turn the receiver on but not off.)

Mindless fun while watching mindless television!

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I guess no one reads instruction manuals any more. :D

19. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Note a recent post by TiVoJerry (search for him in this forum or the Coffeshop forum (Glo remote thread there??)) gave a pointer to a TiVo help page with a slightly different procedure (different from the manual), which allowed for the power switch to explicitly control the power on three devices at once. More things to try!

Link to TiVoJerry's post

20. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Thank you! This procedure worked. The power button now controls the TV and turns the Onkyo receiver both on and off.

aaronwt, it's not clear to me how you think the instruction manual would have helped with a power toggle for an Onkyo receiver. The TiVo-provided codes only turn the receiver on, not off.