S3 problems when set to Native

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by long island blue, Sep 9, 2007.

1. long island blue

long island blue New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Has anyone experienced problems when the video output is set to Native and you go from channel to channel or just to Tivo Central. The screen goes black then odd lines then finally arrives (about 3 seconds, but ugly). I assume it is trying to convert from 1080 to 720, etc. It works fine on 1080 fixed, but not on native or hybrid.

Any thoughts would be apprciated.

Pioneer PRO-150FD
    Elite 82TSX Receiver

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The black screen and delay is due to the resolution switching on your TV. In native mode, your display has to switch to 480i resolution on SD channels, 720p resolution on 720p HD channels, and 1080i resolution on 1080i channels. Hybrid does the same thing, except it outputs 480p on SD channels instead of 480i.

Some displays are able to switch resolutions in less than a second, while others may take four seconds (or longer). What you are seeing is specific to your particular display and how it switches resolutions -- the Tivo is not sending a black screen or odd lines.

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    This is not a problem with the S3, which is working as designed - it is your TV resynching with the mode change.

If it bothers you, select a fixed output mode.

4. long island blue

Sep 9, 2007
    Thank you very much. Does setting the S3 to 1080 Fixed lessen the picture quality at all. 1080 to 1080 is great. What about 720 to 1080. It seems to be off just a bit. It could be me but the picture quality seemed best at native. So everything was displaying at its natural format. The delay is so ugly (not the time, the 3 seconds is ok). But the ugly green lines it displays as trying to convert is really bad. This wasnt a problem with the Verizon HD box at all.

5. Televisionary

Televisionary Member

Oct 24, 2000
    New...
    I have a similar problem, except that in Native mode, over an HDMI connection, 480i just doesn't work. My HDTV, a Samsung HLT5087S 50" 1080p DLP set, says "Unsupported Mode." That can't be right... to paraphrase John Cleese, "it's the singular most popular format in the world!" (Well, USA and Japan, anyway.) So, I'm on 1080i fixed, but I'd rather let the TV do the up- and down-converting. It would also let me see what my actual source format is, since that's not always available in the TiVo program data.

-T

6. long island blue

Sep 9, 2007
    sounds like we are in the same boat. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if the new HD Tivo does the up/down any different???

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Well, probably because the Verizon box was not set to (and probably doesn't support) native output.

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Some TVs like your Samsung do not support 480i over HDMI. That's why Tivo added a "hybrid" mode to the TivoHD. That outputs 1080i channel as 1080i, 720p channels as 720p, but 480i channels as 480p.

That hybrid mode is not yet a choice on the older Tivo Series3, but Tivo could add that with a future software update.