S3 Problem Poll

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by zeroohm, Jan 3, 2007.

Post all S3 problems that you consistently experience (not one time problems)

Poll closed Feb 2, 2007.
  1. Audio drop out

48.1%
  2. Audio out of sync with video

15.4%
  3. Video pixelation (severe, unwatchable)

21.2%
  4. Unexpected reboot

13.5%
  5. Unexpected loss of channels

14.4%
  6. Various software glitches (not slow perf) - recording error, menu error, remote control error, etc.

21.2%
  7. Not experiencing any of the above problems

26.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 3, 2007 #1 of 33
    zeroohm

zeroohm New Member

Dec 31, 2006

Advertisements

The most common problem seems to be cable card installation issues. However, once the cable cards are working (or at least appear to be working), what are the most common problems? Participate in the poll.

2. Jan 3, 2007 #2 of 33
    bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    You need to add an option for: "Not experiencing any of the above problems." Otherwise it's going to appear that EVERYONE is experiencing some type of problem. I'm sure that's not the intended result you were looking for. ;)

3. Jan 3, 2007 #3 of 33
    scott816

scott816 New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    You should have "Grey Screen" as an option.

4. Jan 3, 2007 #4 of 33
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What if we don't experience any of these problems? My only problem is waiting to get the Cable Cards working properly so I can see the encrypted channels.

5. Jan 3, 2007 #5 of 33
    zeroohm

zeroohm New Member

Dec 31, 2006

Advertisements

The forum only allows six maximum poll items. It would be good to see how many people are not experiencing any problems and I have seen a few grey screen posts. I guess I assumed grey screen was loss of channel but maybe that is not accurate. I wish I could add a seventh item but this what we have. Maybe someone can start a new poll with two options: problems or not? Maybe I can start one later unless someone beats me to it...

6. Jan 3, 2007 #6 of 33
    zeroohm

zeroohm New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    I purposely left off cable card problems because it seems like that is the most frequent problem (there is also another poll with a cable card option). I myself had cable card installation problems. But I thought it would be interesting to see what are the most common problems besides that one.

7. Jan 4, 2007 #7 of 33
    dzirpolo

dzirpolo New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Colorado
    I have had the audio drop out problem but I am not even sure the problem is directly releated to the Tivo. I had the Comcast HD DVR and replaced it 4 times. Each one had worse audio drop out issues and Video pixelation that I am having with the Series 3. I am beginning to think my problem is releated to the cable compnay more than the Tivo.

8. Jan 4, 2007 #8 of 33
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Agreed. This post unfortunately gives the appearance that everyone is having a problem with their S3. Audio problems are more often then not a broadcast issue and with an inferior DVR you would hear even more of them. As it stands I rarely get an audio drop off. I'm sure the OP had good intentions but unfortunately the title is another one of those that scream the S3 is full of problems, which just isn't true. I'm not saying some people don't have issues but the majority of us don't as other polls have shown.

9. Jan 4, 2007 #9 of 33
    zeroohm

zeroohm New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Please direct me to a poll that shows that most people are not having any problems. I know that many people who don't have problems will never have the need or desire to join a forum so this is not a good place to prove your theory. I am experiencing numerous problems and that is why I joined this forum.

I want to love my Tivo but right now it is just pissing me off. BTW - Go to CNET and check out the user reviews and you will see that at least 50 percent of those reviews are negative. That does not support your theory either. And by the way, even 20 percent reporting problems is unacceptable from a quality standpoint. Would you buy a car if had as many problems as the S3?

The S3 is my first Tivo. So I don't have any romantic memories of prior products to cloud my opinion of this one. If 8.1 fixes my problems I will switch to the "love" camp very quickly. Tivo provides significant improvements over the standard cable DVR if there were no other problems.

10. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Sure. There is this one here. . And there is this one here . Here's an issue specific poll.

Vast majority say no problems or minor problems that arn't signifigant. And even take away the ones reporting minor problems majority is still on the side of those having no problems.

And I see your fairly new at least to posting in this forum. You should have used your search and just put in "poll". That's what I did. :)

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Here's just 2
    Works great for 65%
    Brilliant purchasing decision for 52%
    Note that percentages are much higher if you include those who say they have problems, but are still happy.

[Ahh, beat by hookbill again.]

12. zeroohm

zeroohm New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Thanks Hookbill. I appreciate you taking the time to do what I could (and should) have done.

CrispyCritter, this is really not a contest. I am not out to beat you or Hookbill or anyone else.

I am probably not going to return my S3. But that does not mean that the problems I am experiencing are any less frustrating. Especially considering how much I paid for it.

In one poll provided by Hookbill (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=319909&highlight=Polls), over 53 percent of S3 owners are experiencing some sort of problem. That is a horrible situation. I own a business and if I had that many problems I would be out of business. Just because someone likes something enough to keep it does not mean they would buy a new one or recommend it to friends.

Tivo will fail as a company if they have that kind of failure rate with all the products they produce. I know I would not invest in their company based solely on the performance of the S3. That is my opinion which I bet more than 50 percent agree with. That is not a good place for Tivo to be. They better fix the S3 before it is too late to undo the damage to their reputation and income.

13. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Let's take a closer look at that poll show we? People saying "some issues" are 34%, but happy. Now that poll was taken when the S3 first came out and many of those issues are now fixed. Many of them were issues such as sound drop outs and such that were not TiVos fault, and many were simply cable card issues mostly installation issues. Let's be fair and say at this point still half of those people have some "issue". That would break that down to 17%. Then if you take the remainder of the poll it rounds of to 10%. That would be 27%.

Even if we took the poll as it stands it still is not 53%. Best I could come up with is 42% which is still hgih but we are talking strickly some type of problems. I think you added in the last category which was people just looking at the poll. That was almost 10%

Now look at that same poll as it stands. You had 202 people who were satisfied customers. That versus 25 people who were dissatisfied. I played with the numbers a bit at the beginning but not at all here. That makes it 87% satisfied 13% dissatisified. That is a huge majority. :)

14. CheezWiz

CheezWiz ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    How about an entry for no problems, that is an important data point for a poll such as this.

15. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't have any of those problems.

16. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I did a search at Cnet on the S3 and I found that the majority of the complaints on that poll were about the price. The editors review however gave it an 8.3, that is excellent. Most of the complaints are from people who didn't even buy one and the ones I saw who did were happy. I will admit I did not read every post just glanced at it. I put more stock in the editors review then someone who wants to complain which is more often the case then people who are happy.

17. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    No problems here.

And of the small percentage of people who have problems (and it is a small percentage), many of those problems are with the cable company and/or broadcast stations, not the Tivo.

There really are very few issues with the S3, effecting a small percentage of people. It's just being clearheaded about it that's really the issue.

18. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    What contest? All I edited my message to say was that hookbill beat me to posting his list of polls before I posted my list! (Though note that I found a different poll than hookbill did.)

19. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Since I had my CableCards installed last Friday I have had 1 spontaneous reboot (it occurred as I was recording 2 shows at once and I was FF and REW through one of them). I also had one of my HD channels go away and I needed to reboot the box for it to come back. I also had a partial recording of one show. I also get audio dropouts but I am not sure that is the fault of the S3. So with those issues I don't have complete confidence in the S3 yet.

But, even with those issues I am happy with the S3 since I had to suffer a year with the SA 8300HD DVR (which I GLADLY returned to TW on Tuesday). I will be glad though when 8.1 comes out and hopefully fixes those and other issues.

20. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    You may still be going through the "initial shakeout" phase of the cable card installation. I've seen a lot of weird behavior after new cards are installed. Especially with a brand new box. It's doing so many things at once that sometimes it seems oddities happen. On my second box I let it sit for a day or two before I entered all my Season Passes. This seemed to make the transition easier. I have gotten spontaneous reboots on my DirecTiVo boxes under these scenarios too. Happened twice and then never again for years until I got my S3's. So far no reboots on the S3 and at this point there probably won't be any. If there was an isolated incident i don't think I'd be that concerned. Computers are computers and sometimes need a reboot. So far my S3's both seem very reliable. Rock solid if I dare say.