S3 not handling Parental locks correctly...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Mystic1, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Mystic1

Mystic1 New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Is anyone else having issues with the parental controls not working correctly? I have them set so that pg-13, & TV-14 shows are UNLocked and "R" and "TV-MA" , etc ARE locked. Yet, We are constantly seeing shows that are "G" or "PG" that show locks, (including most of the DISNEY channel) and are occasionally finding shows that are "R" rated, that are completely unlocked. What's the deal?

2. golubian

golubian Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'm having the same issue. My kids can't figure out why they need a code to watch High School Musical 2. Neither can I.

3. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC
    I have exactly this same problem and posted about it earlier this year (previous post with more detailed debugging). I believe that the Series 3's (and Series 2's with latest update) are using the Movie rating (G, PG, R) instead of the TV rating (TV-Y, TV-PG, etc). For most Made-for-TV movies (e.g. High School Musical), the Movie Rating in the guide date is NR but the correct data is the TV rating.

I have filed a case with TiVo but, like most other instances with TiVo support, "I'm the only one who is having this problem"

4. Mystic1

Mystic1 New Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Guess Tive doesn't really want people to USE the parental controls... :confused: