S3 No Suggestions with Tuning Adapter Redux

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Karmavore, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Karmavore

Karmavore New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Hi. I've got an S3 with with a 1.5TB HDD in it. I used to get suggestions to beat the band, and now I don't. Searches here determined it may be due to the switched digital tuning adapter I received...

I've got a follow-up question... I understand why I might not get suggestions recorded, but I don't see anything but the default instruction screen (i.e., no suggestions) when I go to manually look at what TiVo might suggest if Charter (Madison, WI area) wasn't (presumably) denying the switch requests.

Is what I'm seeing typical, or indicative of a different problem? (I'm trying the Turn Off Suggestions / Reboot / Turn On Suggestions / Reboot process now.)

Thanks in advance.

2. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    The info you reference indicates that the cableco 'could' deny SDV tunes for suggestions... not that they 'are'. As you noticed... the Suggestions screen is typically empty which doesnt line up with tunes being blocked. Many folks (including me) with Cisco TA's attached to S3's or THD's get no (or very few) suggestions (I have one of each both with the problem). In another thread TiVoJerry acknowledged that they were working on something to address the issue in the last firmware we got but it didnt really work out. I get a few suggestions from time to time on the S3/THD but its very sporadic. My Premiere with a TA records Suggestions just fine and in large numbers. Im hoping TiVo will fix the problem eventually.

3. Karmavore

Karmavore New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Thanks.

Another experimenter suggested that I unplug the Tuning Adapter overnight. I just pulled out the USB, and viola, 24 hours later my suggestions screen had all sorts of ideas, of which my Tivo had recorded five.

I'm one of those people who went to this list on occasion and "fixed" some of the less helpful suggestions. As a result of this, and having this box since 2008, my thumbs list is very long. Before I go and delete those to see if that changes anything, I'm curious what people think of the idea.

Weird that TiVo doesn't even have suggestions when a TA is installed. It feels to me that a mistake like that plays right into the hands of the set-top box monopolists. At this late stage of the S3 game, though, I'm not holding my breath for a fix. Besides, it would probably come with a lot more intrusive advertising.

4. Karmavore

Karmavore New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Oh, and SCSIRAID, if you get a moment, I'd like to know if you get suggestions when you go to Find Programs > TiVo Suggestions on your S3 with the TA.

Like you, I only get one recorded suggestion a month or so. But I'm not ever seeing suggestions that TiVo might record in the place I reference above.

5. spocko

spocko Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I recently moved to a new area and got a SA tuning adapter for my Tivo HD, and I significantly fewer suggestions now. And here's what's odd - I don't autorecord suggestions, I just manually browse the suggestions list. Before the tuning adapter (Comcast) I used to have pages of suggestions any time I looked. Now with the tuning adapter (Cox), with even more channels that I had on Comcast, the suggestions list only has 5-7 programs in it.

6. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    The TiVo Suggestions page on my S3 and THD with TA's is usually blank with just the paragraphs with the description of what suggestions are. Sometimes I will find a couple shows listed but usually none.

As to the 'delete and reenter' thumbs thought... makes no difference. I cleared the thumbs database and reentered but nothing changed.

You will find that since you unplugged the TA overnight, suggestions are going to start working fine but then i about a week after the TA is reattached they will come to a screeching halt. Without the TA, the TiVo will repopluate the TiVo Suggestions page with a bunch of shows. After you plug the TA back in, nothing else will get put in the list and once the list is depleted... no more will get put there.

7. Karmavore

Karmavore New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Yep, that's exactly what happened for me. I won't bother with thumbs deletion. Thanks for warnings. I suppose now I have enough to put my complaint in to TiVo, and my expectations for something arising from that are set sufficiently low.