S3 Locking up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bbwebb, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bbwebb

bbwebb New Member

May 1, 2002
    Winchester, VA

Advertisements

Has anyone else had a problem with their S3 locking up?

On 3 separate occasions over the past couple of weeks my S3 has locked when using my Harmony remote to power everything up. When I hit the activity button to "Watch TV" the remote powers up my TV and my Receiver and changes both to the appropriate input. I don't put my Tivo into Standby so it does not send a signal that's actually meant for the Tivo. When powering up I will hear whatever dialog is on the current channel for about 2 seconds through the receiver and then it goes away. At this point the S3 is locked up hard and all I can do is unplug it and plug it back in to get things back to normal.

This does not happen every time, maybe just once out of 10-15 times. Any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing a similar issue? I assume the S3 is locking up due to some IR signal that it is processing incorrectly, but I really have no idea what to do about it.

Thanks
    Bill

2. LinkerX

LinkerX New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    I also get this and I have to pull the power cable to correct it :/

3. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Mine locked up once while displaying and recording Live TV (a regularly scheduled recording). No buttons on the remote or on the box itself would make it do anything. Had to pull the plug and restart.

4. jrog

jrog New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Mine was doing this yesterday when I came home, and my roomate had tried to start it up from my Harmony 360 remote. I too had to pull the plug on the Tivo to get it to come back to life.

Weird...

The unit did not go into standby either, and the time on the front panel was stuck at 20 minutes before I pulled the plug.

5. bbwebb

bbwebb New Member

May 1, 2002
    Winchester, VA

Advertisements

So out of curiosity sake, what equipment are you controlling with your remote? Maybe it's a specific device that we can narrow it down to. I'm using the following:

Harmony 680
    Samsung TV (HLN-467W) - on DVI
    Onkyo AV Receiver (TX-SR701) - on Video 2

Unused while watching television:
    Panasonic DVD (DVD-RP91)
    XBOX
    Slimdevices Squeezebox 2

-Bill

6. LinkerX

LinkerX New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Sony 60XBR950
    Tivo Series 3 over DVI
    Onkyo SR800 AV
    Denon 2900 DVD Player
    XBOX
    XBOX 360
    PS2
    Gamecube
    Technics Record Player

7. joey398

joey398 New Member

Dec 6, 2002
    It's a Microsoft problem with the xbox....wonder if I patch it. Just kidding. :)

8. bbwebb

bbwebb New Member

May 1, 2002
    Winchester, VA
    Interesting that we both have an Onkyo receiver. If I get the time this evening I'll see if I can force a lockup by going through the various Onkyo commands with the remote.

9. LinkerX

LinkerX New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    The only thing I do on my receiver with a remote is raise and lower the volume though.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If you have HDMI connection between Tivo and TV then I would guess the problem is that handshaking between Tivo and your TV is failing occasionally. When you first power on your TV (or whatever you have HDMI connected to from Tivo) the handshaking has to happen and that's when Tivo is locking up for you. A similar problem was there in the early days of the Motorola DCT6412 as well until Moto issued a firmware update fixing HDMI issues. One way to verify this is use component connection instead for a while to see if the issue still happens.

11. KMoth

KMoth New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    My Tivo 3 has locked up twice while in standby mode. I couldn't do anything with it until I pulled the power plug and reconnected it. I changed my harmony remote so it doesn't put the tivo3 into standby mode but it still locked up while recording a regularly scheduled program while I was watching a dvd. For what it's worth both recording LEDs were lit when it froze.

I'm going to try switching to component output instead of HDMI to see if that makes a difference.

TV: Panasonic TH-42PX25
    Receiver: Panasonic SA-XR70
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-F84
    Cable Box: Scientific Atlanta 4200HD
    and Tivo3 of course
    Remote: Harmony H688

12. LinkerX

LinkerX New Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Ya both record lights are on when mine locks. I wonder if it has to do with Tivo suggestions.

BTW I do not have a Harmony remote so it is not your remotes. I dont like to make it easy for people to play with my system.

13. KMoth

KMoth New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    :mad: Tried removing HDMI cable and using component. No difference, it locked up over the night. I'm going to have to try Tivo support after work.

Figures, my Series 1 never had major issues for the 5 years I've used it, this is pissing me off.

Will update when I get any news.
    :mad:

14. bbwebb

bbwebb New Member

May 1, 2002
    Winchester, VA
    Well I have been able to confirm that the lockups are occurring when I power on tv. The lockup happens about 50% of the time. I'll be switching to component cables over the weekend to see if that helps any.

15. Danny Andrews

Danny Andrews New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Anderson,S.C.
    Mine locked up 4 days after I got it. It was overnite, nothing set to record, suggestions off. Called Tivo, they said to return it, probably a bad spot on the hard drive.
    I got the new one today. OK so far. The clock doesn't stay on like the other one. Also it's yellow instead of orange.

16. Hairking

Hairking New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    My S3 didn't freeze but it did quit recording both shows at 7 minutes past the hour. Fortunately, I noticed it quick enough that I did not lose much of the show.

I was watching a previously recorded show while recording two others.

Good news is that I have 3 tivos (2 S2 and 1 S3) connected to the same television, so I plan on setting up redundant season passes on the S2 tivos.

17. Nate Finch

Nate Finch New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Belmont, MA
    My S3 has locked up 3 times in the past two days. Twice while in standby, and once while I was watching a show. As others have said, the only remedy is to unplug it and replug it.

Given how often my S2 locks up (umm... never), I'm a little miffed.

-Nate

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This happened to me once a couple of weeks ago, and twice today, each time when turning on the TV. Has there been any further indication of what's going on?

19. pashasurf7873

pashasurf7873 New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Hawaii
    Aloha! having the same problem with my s3 locking up. just got the cablecards installed yesterday and it froze up last night and this afternoon. I do use a harmony 720 remote.
    I'm so bummed, had series 1 and 2 and never had lock ups.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I further outlined my problem here, and per suggestions, stopped hitting the TiVo button right away when turning on my set-up. It's been about a week, and no further lock-ups. So, in my case at least, it seems to have been a Harmony problem (maybe signals getting crossed or mixed if I hit the TiVo button while the TV is still turning on).

What I'm doing is hitting the Watch TV button on the Harmony, and then waiting until both the TV and the sound system are up and running before entering any other commands. So far, so good!