S3 lifetime transfer 60 days

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by davew723, Mar 20, 2007.

1. davew723

davew723 New Member

Sep 28, 2006

Advertisements

Just wondering. Has anyones S3 with lifetime transfer started showing the subscription as a lifetime yet? I'm over the 60 days so I figured I would check with others before I bother Tivo support. (I didn't see any other threads that answered this question in my quick searches.)

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    You paid $199 for the transfer and have waited 60 days for confirmation of the transfer on the unit. If I were in your position, I wouldn't worry if I bothered TiVo by calling the Customer Service # to check on the status of the transfer.

3. davew723

davew723 New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Correct, I paid $199 for the transfer. Although I do have confirmation as it appears in my www.tivo.com myaccount billing records. It's just not listed on the Tivo under account information, as a lifetime subscription. Tivo stated it will take 60 days from the time of purchasing for the transfer for this account information to be updated.

So again my question is has anyone account information updated that purchased the transfer? (I think its a fair question before I bother Tivo support.)

4. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    yes, the status has been changed. Can you tell us if you have waited 60 days?

After the transfer, the nicknames that you gave to the machines will also get swapped.

5. patrickthickey

patrickthickey New Member

Sep 4, 2002

Advertisements

My transfer finally went through, it took over 70 days.

In addition, once the transfer happened, the names did not switch to follow the Payment Plan category. I had to manually go in and change the names to match the S3 serial numbers.

I transferred Lifetime membership from two older units to S3s, and in each case, the names of the two older units were associated with the 648 service number prefix of the S3s. But, the "648" units did reflect Lifetime so I knew the transfer had happened.

Keep an eye on them, after 60 days give them a call and get the case numbers associated with the requests so you do not need to start from scratch each time you call....if needed.

regards,
    patrick

6. Tim N.

Tim N. New Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have been unsuccessful so far at getting my transfer to occur. In Dec. I called and initiated the transfer. I was told I would be charged $199 at the end of the 60 days. I figured this was a technique to get at least two payments of $13.95 out of me before the transfer took place. I'm okay with that. After 60 days nothing happened. I called and they claimed no case # had ever been generated and since I had initiated 12 month service they could not convert to lifetime. Obviously, I did not live with this answer and eventually I talked to a supervisor and retold the entire tale. She said she would authorize an exception (begrudgingly) and again I would need to wait 60 days. I'm still waiting for the transfer. I have not been charged the $199. as yet. But, now I have a case# and name to defend my claim if they do not switch me to lifetime.

7. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Mine was exactly 60 days. Remember to check your ser# starting with 648. They change the names at the time of the switch.

8. YupYup

YupYup Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Yup, mine too. I've had 2 switch over so far, each 60 days from the time I requested the transfer. Waiting on one more, should happen the middle of next month.

9. myosh_tino

myosh_tino Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Cupertino, CA
    I'm surprised the CSR said you would be charged after 60 days. When I called in to transfer my lifetime I was told I would be charged $199 immediately.

10. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Notice that he was paying monthly. That may have had something to do with screwing up his eligibility or something. There may more to this story. Not saying there is, just a thought.

11. srea

srea New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    St....
    I had checked my account last week (since it had been about 70 days) and I didn't think they had done the transfer. Today (after reading this thread) I realized that the names had changed (as is mentioned here). Also, now the activation date is "Oct 9, 2000" for my S3, pretty slick since its only been out less than a year.... I guess they just move the "TiVo Service Number" in the account info database instead of moving the "lifetime" in the "Account Status" field.

12. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Mine was almost exactly 60 days.

13. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Mine took 80ish days and the names auto-swapped, but the sub statii are absolutely correct now.

I *did* first subscribe the S3 monthly, but within the first 30 days, when I called, was told they'd do a 'cancel/resubscribe' to make it eligible for VIP terms, and that was that . Different story that figuring that procedure took me through 4 CS reps and maby hours on the phone :) - but this was in early November.

14. Tim N.

Tim N. New Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This is why the CSR didn't want to permit the lifetime transfer. But, I explained that the web site has no place to exercise the lifetime option when activating the S3. A reasonable person would conclude that it is required to activate first as a monthly and then call to convert to lifetime. This is what happened in Dec. Whoever the original CSR was in Dec. failed to follow thru and create a case# or initiate the transfer.

I'm still not there yet. Maybe I am still going to get hosed in this deal.

15. PajamaFeet

PajamaFeet This Is Delicious

Mar 25, 2004
    in front of...
    Wow, Thank You Forum! When I set it up I named my new S3 box "HD." I did the lifetime swap back in December and checked once or twice to see if it showed up on my account. It hadn't, and I didn't think much of it. I hooked up the old TiVo to the same TV, but rarely if ever turn it on. I like my HD too much.

My home network has been a little wonky the past couple of months, and none of my TCO program requests ever seemed to go through. I didn't pursue it and just scheduled recordings right from the box.

After reading this thread, DOH, I checked my account and TiVo DID swap names on my units! Well, the old box isn't HD and doesn't even have access to those channels. So, I guess I've been asking my poor old TiVo to record channels it doesn't even get. Mystery solved.

Thanks forum.

Any other IT industry folks out there think that swapping the names on the units rather than swapping the lifetime status is just a stupid solution? That's not intuitive at all.

16. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I know what you mean, but on my second xfr, the CSR rep was kind enough to inform me of the 60 days and the name change, so they must have had a lot of calls on that one!

17. PajamaFeet

Mar 25, 2004
    in front of...
    That's good to hear that the CSRs are telling people about the name swapping at least.

18. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I agree, but note that they switch the entire service account history as well; it's not just lifetime status. I can see it would have been much easier to just swap TSN than everything else, but it would have been nice to afterwards switch the names back!

19. PajamaFeet

Mar 25, 2004
    in front of...
    Right. Had I been identifying my boxes by their TiVo Service Numbers rather than names, I wouldn't have spent so much time wondering why my "HD" box wasn't recording any of my online recording requests. Not bothering to spend any time figuring out why it wasn't recording anything, I just assumed it was my wonky router, another one of those S3 anomalies, or a "we're working on it" feature similar to MRV.

I'm just pleased that I was poking around here and stumbled across this little gem of information. It never occurred to me that the name I gave my unit was actually the name applied to its service plan rather than the physical unit.

Thanks again, Crispy and others who discussed it here. I'm a pretty good problem solver, and this one didn't seem to fit into any of my paradigms.

20. Tim N.

Tim N. New Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I called Tivo after getting nervous from this thread. Sure enough, no transfer was being initiated. Somehow my account was converted from monthly to prepaid 1 year, but not transferred to Lifetime. I talked to someone who said the case # didn't mention a lifetime transfer. This is very disturbing. When you talk to someone and then talk to their supervisor, you want to expect things will happen the way they were verbally conveyed to you.

This call resulted in a new 60 day clock, but I am to believe that this time it will get transferred. I am supposed to be charged the $199. now. We will see what happens.