S3 Killer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A-1, Jun 14, 2007.

1. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
  2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Not exactly an S3 killer being that it is not available in the US, yet (if ever).

3. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    semantics.

And, if i were a betting man this will be in the US before you know it.

4. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    The HD-DVD support is interesting, not to mention the HD/DVD burner. It sure puts it into direct competition with a MediaCenter PC or MythTV setup. Still, very interesting.

5. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

Sony & Samsung have both had "Home Theater" Blu-Ray recorders available in Japan now for over a year. They have still yet to be released here in the good ole USA. Albeit they don't have HDD in them though.

My only point is that this looks like a great unit. But it will still be at least 1 - 2 years before it makes it into the USA.

Second.... What Tivo has going for it that HD-DVD/Blu-Ray recorders with or without hdd's going for them is all the "FEATURES" that Tivo offers.

Tivo also has a huge customer base too. Tivo units are "upgradeable" in some form or fasion even if it isn't officially supported.

So don't get your hopes up yet!

TexasGrillChef

6. susani8

susani8 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I can't wait until the HD-DVD vs BluRay settiles and we have a definitive HD player/recorder available which will play ALL of the High Def DVDs. I can just imagine being able to record HD from the S3 to the HD recorder, it'll be gorgeous! I'm waiting until the war is over and the victor is announced.

The Series 3 and the High Def recorder (non-computer based, please). That will be the perfect 1 - 2 punch!

7. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    The war is IMO already over. Niether will win. Downloading movies will be the winner.

8. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA

Still waiting for Amazon to cut a deal for HD downloads and save myself $500.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    How about the fact that it costs more than twice as much as a S3?

10. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I am waiting for either (1) the war to end with a victory for one format or the other, or (2) an affordable, full featured dual format player to hit the market.

11. LCD1080

LCD1080 Member

Dec 13, 2006
    If it does come to the US they'd better do something about the price. The article shows a price north of $1600 for the 600GB model. I just paid $377 for my TIVO S3 and could add on a 500GB hard drive for a couple hundred bucks.

12. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Your paying for a HD DVD player/recorder not a DVR.

What would be nice is if Toshiba decided to build one for the US market as a TiVo Series 3.

Thanks,

13. T-Shee

T-Shee Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Bingo. My thoughts exactly.

Just yesterday, a friend of mine, who was a rabid/obsessive DVD collector, said "game over", not buying into another format war.

Check out this new puppy if you want sticker shock, and it doesn't have HD DVD or BluRay, but up to 4 tuners and 2 TB:
    http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/hangar18/hangar18_overview.aspx

I'm not an advocate. Just pointing to a gizmo that makes the S3 look like a incredible bargain.

14. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Anyone who is seriously thinking of buying that already has a Series 3. :)

15. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Here is the link....

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6122067.html

Showing that Blu-Ray /HD-DVD recorders from Sony, Toshiba, & Samsung have NO intentions or current plans to release these units for sale in the USA.

So as it stands... TIVO is still the way! :)

TexasGrillChef

16. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    P.S.

As far as the HD-DVD & Blu-Ray wars go.... They will both be around for a long long time.

Playstation, XBOX, & Nintendo have maintained their market share. 20 years ago, everyone thought there would be a CLEAR winner to the GAME machines. As of yet, 20 years later, there is still no CLEAR winner in the game machine wars.

LG currently makes a dual mode, blu-ray /HD Dvd Player.

Starting in July, ALL 100% of New release movies coming from WB (Warner Brothers) will be in their new Tri-mode disc.

Whats a tri-mode disc? It is one disc that provides single layer blu-ray, Single layer HD-DVD & dual layer all on one Dual sided DVD disc.

As a result of the fact you will soon be able to get a disc that will play in all machines, & the fact that more companies will be making dual mode (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) players. There will be no clear winner.

It will still be at least a year or more before recorders ever make it to the USA.

TexasGrillChef

17. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    P.P.S.

Downloading movies is a great way to go. However it won't take over the market until the majority of consumers have DVR's capable of doing downloands....

AND....

HD Movie downloads WITH full 5.1 Dolby surround sound or better are available.

Example, I won't download a movie that is available on blu-ray or HD-DVD if it isn't in HD with full surround sound.

Another caveat to Movie Downloads is that they don't include the EXTRA's found on DVD's being sold or rented.

If no one wanted the EXTRA"s they wouldn't spend the money putting them on the DVD's. I am one person that likes the EXTRAS found on DVD's (Blu-ray & HD-DVD included)

TexasGrillChef

18. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

WOW look at this price
    http://www.alienware.com/Configurat...sCode=PC-HANGAR18-HDEC-R1&SubCode=SKU-PREMIUM

And you will notice it can't record 2 HD shows at once. S3 all the way. I like the looks i like the 2TB but 4K ?

19. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I beg to differ. The Xbox 360 is currently in more homes than Tivo's and it is currently the only device with downloadable HD content and it is fast and looks great! Tivo needs to catch up to Xbox 360 before the PS3 is out matching the S3 in downloads.

Also, On Xbox 360 you can download some movies with extras like the dvd, but this is extremely limited. Personally I don't care about extras, other than deleted stuff, do you watch much else? Have you ever sat through an entire movie just listening to the director or whom ever else they got to ramble while the movies on. I for one have not been able to complete one.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/moviestv/default.htm
    HD movie after HD movie, are they great movies no...but better than Amazon 4sho

20. Mach1_8

Mach1_8 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    The Xbox Live downloads can't compete in quality to most of the HD media (i.e. HDDVD and BR) out there. They're nice and all, but at the end of the day they're overcompressed with DD 5.1 at best for the sound (do they even have 5.1? I can't recall). Maybe if the prices were better and the D/L times not so long it would have a chance. Downloading HD movies may work for some, but I paid good money for my HDTV and surround sound system...I don't feel the need to hook them up to watered down HD material.