S3 intermittantly drops blocks of channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PHILBX, Dec 12, 2011.

1. PHILBX

PHILBX New Member

Jul 1, 2006

Advertisements

Blocks of channels intermittantly (as often as once a week) disappear from my S3. "Channel not available" message appears during live TV or recording is blank. Most of the time it is HD channels but not always. The channels frequently come back on their own. TiVo tech support blames Cablevision. Cablevision came out and replaced both cards. 5 days later same problem. My TiVo HD doesn't have problem. Reseating the cards and/or rebooting will often resolve problem.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I had a similar problem on my Series3 a few years ago. It turned out one of the cards was bad and/or not paired correctly. Sometimes I got "channel not available" and sometimes it worked. You can force the issue if you start a recording on one tuner and then try tuning problem channels on the other. If that works, start another recording on the second tuner, then stop the first recording and try tuning the problem channels there. If that shows the problem, then you know it is isolated to one tuner. The it's just a matter of what is bad: cable card, pairing, or the physical tuner on the S3. In my case a new card (at the time replacing an S card with an M card) fixed it. The other original S card continued to work for 3 more years until I moved to a new area.

Of course, if you have two recordings set for the same time and both of them fail, it may be something else entirely.

3. Burdy

Burdy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Hudson...
    Until recently I never experienced this with my S3, which has pretty much run like a champ for the last five years. In the last couple of months I've had 4 instances of 'Channel not available' or 'Searching for signal' on almost the entire lineup, with just a couple of channels remaining available. Since a reboot has always fixed the problem, I've been reluctant to blame the cableco (Cablevision).

I suspected that maybe my 2006-vintage single stream cable cards might have somehow become less compatible with however Cablevision runs their network nowadays, but your experience with a new set of cards seems to shoot down that theory.

4. PHILBX

PHILBX New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I still have the lost blocks of channels problem about once a week. Since rebooting the TiVo seems to resolve the issue, I've decided to live with it until it gets to be too much of a pain. The TiVo is on lifetime and in most ways the S3 seems to be as good as the Premiere.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

A remote but still possible possibility is that the TiVo power supply is developing problems that keep it from giving the cable card quite enough current to operate properly.

Search this site for "capacitor disease" or "capacitor plague".

There was a guy a week or 3 ago on here somewhere that had a problem with inserting the cable cards causing the TiVo to reboot, turned out to be that doing so increased the overall current draw just enough beyond the power supply's ability to provide current that it caused just enough of a voltage drop to crash the TiVo.