S3 HDMI Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Fuzzbutt, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Fuzzbutt

Fuzzbutt New Member

Dec 4, 2015

Advertisements

I began starting having problems with my hard drive in my TiVo so I got a new drive and imaged it. I put the new hard drive and HDMI was no longer working, but I assumed it was just an upgrade issue since the image that was on the new hard drive was very old (9.2 or something like that). Trying to get upgrades to roll out, I reset the TiVo many times and reset the drive through the TiVo. I later read on here that TiVo was no longer pushing upgrades to the box so I purchased a drive from weaknees that had 11m. Even with this new drive my HDMI is still displaying as "Not Connected" even though it is. HDMI worked flawlessly before I removed the first hard drive. I don't know if it's a bad coincidence or if there's something else going on, but it seems to be an HDCP issue since I see the beginning of the TiVo boot sequence then it goes black. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

The first thing to do is hook it to some sort of video display device via either component video (red, green, blue jacks) or composite video (yellow jack) and see what you can see when HDMI bails on you.

Although in a Series 2 or 3 platform TiVo, it could easily be the power supply failing that's causing all of your problems, including what you thought were hard drive troubles.

3. Fuzzbutt

Fuzzbutt New Member

Dec 4, 2015
    I'm currently using component which seems to be working fine. I may just give up and leave it as is, but I already have my hdmi cables running through the wall.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If one has a Series 2 or Series 3, one must almost always eliminate the power supply as a possible source of the problem before moving on to other troubleshooting.

There have been cases where one tuner worked but not the other, but there was nothing wrong with the tuner or the motherboard.

There have been cases where things worked fine until a cable card was inserted, but there was nothing wrong with the cable card or the motherboard.