S3 has become incredibly slow!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nreuben, Apr 29, 2007.

1. nreuben

nreuben New Member

May 26, 2003

Advertisements

Came home last week and found the s3 stuck at the Almost there screen - it had crashed or rebooted. I had to pull th epower, and each time it came up for several tries it would not respond after the first remote command. So I let it sit.

Since then it has become unpredictably slow - sometime merely sluggish, sometimes not responding to the remote for minutes or longer.

Playback is mostly normal, the clock works, and programs record, the yellow led comes on but commands sometimes don't even get a response.

version 8-1-1. Been fine since the update until now. It acts like a cpu with a runaway process or virus eating up the cycles.

Any ideas?

2. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    It's unusual timing considering the 8.3 update rollout was last week and you have not received the update yet. I was working on a networking issue after the 8.3 update was downloaded and Tivo would not let me access any networking configurations until a restart scheduled for 2AM. Not wanting to wait I forced the restart and had to wait 45 minutes while the update was installing. It could be a glitch with the software updating.

3. Omikron

Omikron Member

Feb 27, 2006
    I vote for failing hard disk. Freqently when a drive begins to fail slow access times and lockups are symptoms.

4. Raphael

Raphael New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    This exact same thing started happening to me Friday. S3 8.1 original drive. Tivo Wireless card.

Sometimes it works just fine for a for a few hours. Sometimes it reboots randomly. Sometimes after booting to TivoCentral it hangs. By hang it seems that there is some process that is busy. When I try to move through the menus it might move once or twice then stop responding. After like 5-10 minutes it might start working again or it might reboot. Another weird thing is the menus. Sometimes is shows the background with the little lightbulbs and the Tivo guy in the top left corner. But no text. It can feeze like that forever or after 5-10 minutes it might start showing the text menus. So it seems like the CPU or HD are too busy to draw the screens.

I talked to Tivo support. They were convinced it was a cablecard issue. They had me try all kinds of stuff with the cable cards. Nothing worked. Weird thing is when the freezing is not happening the recorded shows and live TV are fine. I tried removing the cablecards, wireless card, turning off Tivo Desktop. None of these seemed related to the problem.

Tivo is replacing my unit.

5. May 1, 2007 #5 of 10
    nreuben

nreuben New Member

May 26, 2003

Advertisements

A new unit is coming - hard disk decay is the suspect. However, more info:

Records and pb of SD material is ok, so chokes when HD is writing to disk. It may be recording, but no operation can occur while recording HD.

6. May 3, 2007 #6 of 10
    nreuben

nreuben New Member

May 26, 2003
    Pixilation out of control on HD. reboots several times a day. Can't get the new unit here quick enough!!!

Hard to imagine how an HD could go bad in 6 months. I run my computer 24x7 and my S2 has been running for years (knock on wood). I'm a bit disappointed in the HD life, given the cost.

7. May 5, 2007 #7 of 10
    monbri1

monbri1 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    My S3, just started running very sloooooow. Same things were happening, would take minutes after hitting a button before anything would happen. Would lock up on the Now Playing Screen (no text). Cannot watch live TV or recorded programs.

Called TIVO and (after being on hold for 49 minutes) the technician agreed it was the harddrive and will be sending another unit. Only five months old. I think it is time for TIVO to look at what type of hard drives they are using.

8. May 5, 2007 #8 of 10
    guppies

guppies New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Same symptons as above, first started going slow, then erratically would hold up in the menu, finally had to reboot. After several reboots, it would lock up (Tivo guy on top with lights, but no text). Spoke with Tivo, new unit on the way. Seems to be a strange and expensive way to run a business - hope we aren't coming back again in 5 months for another new one.

Very disappointing. Our older S2 units both working fine and never froze.

9. Sep 4, 2007 #9 of 10
    murrays

murrays Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2004
    I found this thread on a search after my S3 started showing the symptoms mentioned above.

When you say that TiVo is sending a new unit, do you mean that they are sending you a completely new S3 or a new HD?

Also, do they require you to send the old S3 back?

Just curious while I wait for my unit to reset the ToDo and Guide data on my S3.

-murray

10. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    In June, my S3, which I had bought in January, started responding very slowly and spontaneously rebooting. After several calls to both TiVo and Cox OKC, and a service call from a Cox tech, TiVo agreed to replace my box. They overnighted a brand new S3 to me and sent me an RMA, which allowed me to ship back my old broken S3 at no expense to myself. The new S3 has worked perfectly ever since.

The only difficulty I had was to convince TiVo that the problem was my S3 (it was) and not the CableCARDs (it wasnÂ’t).