S3 Died.. Bought an Elite...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by oViTynoT, Dec 23, 2011.

1. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Hey, folks...

Been a while since I've posted around here...

My 4.5yr old S3 started gaving up the ghost (Frequent reboots, and locking up during every other reboot) yesterday with a "Fail 7" SMART failure. I didn't feel like monkeying around with a drive replacement, so the "Boss" approved a new Premiere Elite.

My only problem arose during the CableCard activation.

I picked up an M-Card from the local Verizon Plus store, then swung by Best Buy and picked up the Elite.

Within an hour, I had the box installed, and called Verizon to activate the CableCard.

When I called, I was told "Sorry, there's a glitch in our system. Cablecards picked up at the retail outlets can't be activated until Mid January."

Huh???

So I called back to a different tech, "Sorry, we can't see your Cablecard in the system. We need to dispatch a truck with a new card."

So I called back to a third tech, "Sorry, your order is stuck in PENDING, so we can't do an activate. You need to talk to the order desk."

Forwarded to Ordering. "No, those guys are NUTS. They have it backwards. They have to activate the card so the order will CLOSE. It will stay in Pending until they activate it."

Forwarded back to Activations. "No, the ORDER desk has it backwards. They never sent the order to provisioning. We can't activate it while it's still pending."

Forwarded to Tier 3. "Ok, I actually know what I"m doing. Stick with me. My name is YYYY and my operator number is XXXX, if we get disconnected for any reason, ask for me by number and name."

On Hold for 10 minutes. "Ok, we know what the problem is. That Verizon Store clerk isn't closing ANY of his orders. They're still stuck as OPEN. You're the fifth call I've had this week. We can't activate until they send the order over for provisioning."

On hold for 15 minutes. "We're going to call you back. I've forward your info to National Accounts. They're going to get you fixed up."

Five minutes later, my cell rings. "This is 'Bob' from Verizon. Your card is active. Check it please?"

Voila. Up and running. Called TiVo and had service attached, did a call-in, and had the box fully functional 10 minutes later.

I nursed the old S3 back onto the network, and was able to MRV Copy all of the recordings onto the new S4.... Used Season Pass Manager on the TiVo website to transfer my 60+ season passes...

... and I'm a happy camper!

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Enjoy the Elite.

I'm glad I had an existing cable card and was able to just move it over to my Elite without talking to anyone at FiOS.

3. oViTynoT

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Yeah, my S3 was old enough that Verizon was still provisioning only S-Cards. So now I need to remember to take them back and stand in line for another hour just to return them...

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You should be able to turn them in by mail too. When I was online and was going to remove two from my account it gave me the option of having it shipped back to them with a prepaid mailer. Although I just went down to the local FiOS store to return them one day and only had one person in front of me in line.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Sounds like your activation went text book to me. I blame you, you blame me then we transfer you to the guy who knows what's going on. If you get real persistent you can do it in one call otherwise there's a three call minimum.

Now that they have the process flawlessly working they'll offshore it to add the new element of "can't understand them"... Now that's advanced customer service...

6. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Wait! I can just pop the existing cable card out of my HD TiVo and pop it into my new premiere without involving the cable company? Have a new premiere sitting in my floor waiting for next Thursdays truck roll appointment.

7. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    For basic channels yes... Premier channels no...

8. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    Just answered my own question.

From the TiVo site:

Can I use my old CableCARD in my new Premiere?
    You may use a CableCARD from an earlier generation TiVo box, but it must be a Multi-stream CableCARD (M-Card). Single-stream cards are not supported by Premiere boxes. Simply move the Multi-stream CableCARD from your old TiVo box to your new TiVo Premiere and follow the instructions on the installation menus that automatically appear on your TV screen.

Going to have to have the truck roll anyway to install cards in the 'old' tivo, which we are going to continue to use...but in the meantime I can try out the Premeire! :up: Stupid me. I've just had it sitting in the box on the floor waiting for next week. :rolleyes:

9. oViTynoT

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    With FiOS, *yes*, you can use any already-authorized M-Card. It's not mated to the specific hardware. No calls needed; no truck-roll needed, no nothing.

With other cable providers, then the story will vary.

10. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    Yeah....I found that out the hard way. :(

Not only does the new TiVo not work, the old TiVo from which I took the MCard will not work over channel 99 now. Any time I try to tune a channel over 99 I get the screen with the cablecard settings and it says to call my cable provider to start service. And naturally nobody is there because it's a holiday. UGH! Guess I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday morning when the cable place opens again to have somebody hit it with a signal to get it working again. :mad:

This really wouldn't be a big deal, except now we are going to miss the Doctor Who Christmas special that airs tomorrow night. :thumbsdown:

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    For non paired cable cards, like I have on FiOS, you can. Over the last 5+ years I've moved my cable cards around dozens of times with no issues with Premium channels. But FiOS has never paired my cable cards either.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Was that actually a real Christmas special? My Premiere recorded it but the guide data sounded like it was a compilation of past Christmas specials.
    I guess I'll ask my brother tonight. Either way I have to rent it from Amazon VOD or VUDU to see it in HD since FiOS does not have BBCA-HD.

13. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    There was a "Best of" episode on yesterday but this years special airs tonight.

14. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You should be able to hit the clear button to remove that screen except on premier stations...

I meant to warn you about the S3's, once you remove the card it has to be paired again (non-FIOS I guess)...