S3 Compatible DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by remshard, Aug 16, 2007.

1. remshard

remshard New Member

May 31, 2007

Advertisements

I need to replace my DVD Recorder. I'd really like to take advantage of the Tivo Transfer to VCR function. Can anyone recommend a quality, compatible DVD Recorder for this function? Thanks for the help. :confused:

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    What do you mean by "S3 compatible"? Any DVD burner will accept and record from an S video or composite input output from the S3.

There isn't a consumer grade HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD burner, so you're stuck with regular DVD's. That said, the S3 does output anamorphic widescreen via S-video, so you can run that into a DVD burner that can set the "widescreen" flag on your burnt DVD's and make very nice looking 16:9 DVD's. Make sure you do your research before you buy a burner if that's important to you. I have a Sony that does (RGX-330???) and it makes a pretty decent product.

PS: Welcome to the site!

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Just about any DVD recorder that has component inputs will work.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    you don't need component inputs.

check the dvd recorder section at avsforum.com.

My suggestion: You want a recorder with a hard drive even if you think you don't.
    Then you'll be able to easily record to the external device's hard drive, edit, and losslessly burn to DVD.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

Unlike a number of cable company DVRs, the HDTV Tivos will output anamorphic 16x9 through s-video and composite.

6. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I should try that on my Series3 HD DMR.

If only I could hook up a USB DVD burner to it....

7. remshard

remshard New Member

May 31, 2007
    Thank you very much. If I'm only using the DVD Recorder to off-load saved TIVO recordings, do I need a DVD Recorder with a Digital Tuner? There is a significant price difference between recorders with digital tuners and those without.

8. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    No, you only need the digital tuners if you expect to hook cable up and record shows directly while they are live. If you are just going to use the S3 as an input for recording, you can go with the cheaper model.

9. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Oh really? I don't know of any DVD recorders that accept a component video input. Just about all of them have component outputs, however. Since DVD recorders can only record standard definition programming at 720x480 then component inputs aren't required anyway. You'd have to use the S-video or composite video outputs with the resolution set at 720x480 in order to transfer video via an analog connection.

10. cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Correct, most should have (and only need) analog (SD) SVideo inputs.
    Note that the S3 automatically converts to 480i on its analog outputs no matter what the component/HDMI resolution is, so no need to change your TV viewing resolution, the analogs will always be fine (which makes sense, nothing else could come out of them.)
    However you may want to change Aspect display, per your taste; as noted above, I prefer to leave it on regular and effectively get 16:9 anamorphic (for HD), but for SD ones it's up to you.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You can get a standalone DVD recorder for under $75 that will work very well recording from the Series 3. I bought one from walmart last year. It works much better than the Phillips standalone recorders i got 3.5 years ago.