S2ST Record from different sources for different channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by shpope, Mar 19, 2007.

1. shpope

shpope New Member

Feb 10, 2005

Advertisements

We have digital cable in the family room pretty much strictly for the HD. When I want to watch HD I switch to the cable box and watch. However, recently, there have been some shows popping up on the other channels that I'd like to record.

Currently I'm splitting the coax before the box and feed TiVo through the RF input. Is there a way to set up TiVo so I can keep that connection but also connect through the RCA inputs from my cable box. That way I could record channels 1-99 from the RF (and not worry about IR blasters) and then record anything else from the RCA inputs. I think this is similar to what my setup would be if I set it up as cable + satellite, but there was no option to do this for analog + digital cable. Thanks for any help.

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Personally, I don't know what a "S2ST" is.

Did you mean "S2DT"?

If you did mean "dual tuner", then it's designed to be used the way you describe. They can easilly accept an RF input from analog cable, and an Audio/Video feed from a cable box.

If you don't have a Dual Tuner TiVo, and by "ST" you meant something else, I don't know what to tell you.

As far as I know, you can't set a single tuner TiVo up to operate a cable box and take analog "box-free" cable at the same time.

PS
    This part was VERY hard to understand- "there have been some shows popping up on the other channels that I'd like to record." Channels other than WHAT? I figured out you meant other than the analog cable channels the TiVo can currently get, but it did throw me at first.

3. shpope

shpope New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Sorry it made sense in my head. I have a Single Tuner S2. By other channels I meant the digital (100+) channels.

Thanks.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes - it would blow its mind to try and sort that out and you owuld not get the correct guide data for the "two sources" anyhow.

You want to upgrade to a S2 Dual Tuner unit to do what you are after or else feed the cable box directly into the TiVo and it will record all the channels you receive and either put another cable box on the TV or just feed it the plain old coax on some input so you can watch the lower 99 channels while TiVo is recording something else.

5. shpope

shpope New Member

Feb 10, 2005

Advertisements

The only reason I asked is because I know that single tuner TiVos can handle cable+satellite, so I thought it would be cool if it could handle analog+digital cable. It shouldn't be that difficult to switch inputs for different channels, but I've realize that single tuner S2s are on their way out and there really is no need to try to add very little used features like this to the feature set. C'est la vie.

6. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
    It made perfect sense to me, and is something I've wanted to do for a very long time too.

Unfortunately, it's not an option supported by TiVo. This is a TiVo Inc support decision, not a technical limitation.

It would be exactly the same as cable+satellite or how the DT box supports using a cable box and analog cable at the same time.

Ideally, you would select cable+cable box and then in the "Channels I Receive" list remove all of the analog channels from the cable box list, to force it to use straight cable for those channels.

Obviously, you would only be able to record one thing at a time, but it would free up the cable box for other uses when the TiVo doesn't need it.

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Having endusers configure things is always a support headache that costs money.
    there is the headache of figuring out what to do with shows that are broadcast both digital and analog. It is actually not a simple problem set. TiVo did solve this for the S3 and DT units since on two tuners it allsows you to record some more - but to backfill that code to a single tuner is most likely just not worth the resources needed

8. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
    Actually, they already solved the problem for both Series 1 and Seres 2 also. It's not a new problem and they have had a solution since day 1 (or as long as I can remember) to the same station being on two different inputs.

The satellite and cable option already has this problem and a solution. If you get locals on satellite, you likely have the same affiliate NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX stations on both. Either way, you likely have CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, Comedy Central, and others on both.

A user with satellite and cable with a season pass for South Park, has the problem of the same show being on both sources and the TiVo picking one to record.

From a design standpoint, a cable connection with a cable box and a satellite connection through a satellite receiver are EXACTLY the same. In both cases, the TiVo must control an external box to tune the station that it reads through the TiVo input connected to the external boxes output. The fact that this signal came from space though a disk to that external box or over a wire to that external box has absolutely no impact to how the TiVo functions.

It's 100% a support issue. TiVo doesn't want to get calls from people who would use a cable box + cable set up and use the cable box for something else while the TiVo was recording plain cable content only to find out they messed up a recording because the TiVo was actually recording from the box.