S2DT HD died, if I buy used one on Ebay can I use it as is or put HD in mine?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bgc, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bgc

bgc Member

Jan 12, 2008
    My S2DT HD died. I'm considering buying one on Ebay to get the HD with a good image. What are my options for using the new (used) one?

If I decide to add more space I can use the free tools to get the image off the used one's HD to set up the new HD.

Can I just swap the used one's HD into mine if I decide not to add more space?

If I just wanted to hookup the used one in place of mine, what would I have to do to replace my existing one on my account with the used one off Ebay?

Even if I was swapping out the drive or using the image, would it be necessary to first connect the used one to Tivo so it would update to the latest software before taking the HD out?

No Lifetime service is involved, but I am on a discounted monthly rate I got when I was going to cancel a while ago.

Thanks,
    BGC

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Assuming that you got another S2DT then the hard drive image should be compatiable (you've bypassed the first pitfall ;)). So yes, you could use it as the source image to do a drive upgrade onto a new larger drive.
    Note: TiVo hard drive images get "paired" to the security chip on the TiVo motherboard. To fix a pairing mismatch you just have to run clear and delete everything after you install the mismatched drive into the destination TiVo.

So, yes you could swap the ebay S2DT's drive into your old S2DT, as subject to the note above it'd work.

I'm less sure on what you'd have to do to add the new TiVo to your account and remove the old one. It might be possible to do so through TiVo's website, but you might have to call their customer service number to do it. And I think you'd most likely lose your current discounted month service and revert to standard pricing.

Oh, and you shouldn't have any problem swapping or cloning the drive before connecting to TiVo for the latest software. Your old box will do that anyway if it sees it's "magically" reverted to non-current software.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can simply swap out the old Tivo with the newer in your Tivo.com account and not need to swap the hard drives.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    To use the drive from the second TiVo, or a drive made from the image of the replacement second TiVo, you only need to do a C&DE.

The TiVo service account is for the TSN of the TiVo, and that is permanently held on the main board crpyto chip. C&DE copies some crypto chip data to the HDD for easier access.

To completely replace your existing TiVo with the "new" one, if it has other than Product Lifetime, you need to call TiVo, or might be able to do it online. If it has Product Lifetime (or an account status they will not let you move), your only practical option is to move the crpyto chip over.