S2 won't see my other TiVo, but it used to

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timckelley, Mar 9, 2008.

1. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...

Advertisements

Okay, here's the symptoms. Just the other day, my wife called me at work, because her TiVo had the normal green screen, but no printing on it. That is, you couldn't see the Now Playing list or any other menu, and none of the remote keys, including the main TiVo/Menu button, would do anything. Just a blank green screen with no responsiveness to the remote.

I suggested she reboot the TiVo, and that seem to fix everything. Even today, it works perfectly, except for one thing: It no longer sees my upstairs TiVoHD. However, my TiVoHD does see her S2. By 'see', I mean when you go to Now Playing and scroll to the bottom, there's an entry that names the other TiVo, and you're supposed to be able to click on that, and see the Now Playing on the other TiVo. This 'entry that names the other TiVo' is now missing on the S2, but still there on the TiVoHD.

Out of curiosity, I went to one of my XP computers and went to My Network Places/Entire Network/Home, and it lists my two computers, but doesn't list either TiVo. Maybe this is normal, as I never attempted to set up my computer network to recognize the TiVos beyond hooking things up and playing with the TiVo menus. I just mention this, because I don't know if this is normal or not.

Question: Does anybody have any troubleshooting tips to suggest I try to figure out the problem?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Reboot both DVRs.

TiVos won't show in "My Network Places", since they don't use the same network protocols as computers use.

You can press Thumbs Down-Zero in Now Playing to see if it finds other TiVos.

3. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Thank you. I did the Thumbs down-zero (but I had to hit thumbs down after the zero), and it did see both TiVos, yet I couldn't see the shows on the other TiVo.

But then I rebooted the TiVoHD like you said, and that fixed the problem. Thanks for that tip.