S2 to S2DT

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by NHRA21, Jul 30, 2007.

1. NHRA21

NHRA21 New Member

Nov 27, 2005

Advertisements

I am going to be installing my new S2DT with a 320GB DB drive and was wondering if there was any way I can save the information (recorded shows, thumbs, etc.) from my old S2 and restore it on my new S2DT.

2. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
  3. MungoJerrie

MungoJerrie Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Um, no it can't. Mfslive can restore an image and retain recordings, etc. from the same generation tivo. You cannot restore an image from any other S2 to a DT other than another DT (i.e, 649*).

For example you cannot take a backup image from a 240* or 540* tivo and restore it to anything other than the same "family." The only exception is the 140/240 family; those are compatible.

The only way to transfer the recordings (other than hacking) is to use MRV or Go-Back between the units once they are both up. AFAIK, there's no good way to transfer thumbs or season passes. Tivowebplus contains a feature but I'm pretty sure it's problematic with new software (8.x) releases.

4. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    That would only work if the 2 tivo's were the same model and Series. S2 tivos and S2.5 (DT models) run different software. But even if they were the same, the encryption scheme used for those recordings is tied to the original tivo's cryptochip.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO

Advertisements

My mistake, I guess I should read carefully before posting :)

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    what about using MRV or TTG?