S2 Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ALK3011, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ALK3011

ALK3011 New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    I have had a Direct TV/Tivo series 1 for a while and I just got a new Tivo HD and am having a NIGHTMARE with Comcast and the Cable Card issue.

In my other room i have Standard definition tv and a comcast DVR. While I don't watch that one very much, after my experiences over the past few days i am sick thinking about giving Comcast any more money than i have to. So i was considering a S2 - single tuner for this room - those are very inexpensive and I would rather give Tivo the $ than comcast.

OK...the question.....do i need ANY comcast equipment to run a Series 2. How does the Tivo 2 decode the digital channels??? (the comcast DVR rents for the same as a comcast digital decoder box - thus i have the DVR) but can I get by without either and have no comcast equipment??

thanks

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Without a cable box the Series 2 will only tune the analog cable channels (usually the ones between 2 and 99). The Series 2 can control a cable box just fine but I guess that's not what you're after.

3. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    I have Comcast Analog service here in NJ and I simply attach the coax cable from the wall into the TiVo and (as pdhenry says) I receive channels 2-99. The only catch - scrambled channels that need a cable box such as HBO, Showtime, etc. For all the other channels the Tivo handles everything perfectly.

If you are so inclined, bypass the current cable box, by attaching the coax directly to the TV to see what channels you will receive without the Comcast equipment.