S2 Harddrive Size Fix

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by socrplyr, Jul 29, 2007.

1. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    A while ago I was given an S2 w/ lifetime. The harddrive was dead, so I replaced it with a new one and I got the drive image from an instacake CD. However, the software on the instacake CD was the original version from the tivo and the harddrive was (I think 320GB). It of course didn't recognize the whole size and now that I finally have time I want to fix it so I can use the whole harddrive. I have used a live cd before on other tivos to get to larger harddisks, but that was a long time ago. I am assuming i just need to get LBA48 support turned on. I was going to use something like MFSLive, but is there a command that I can do that will just fix the issue? Or do I have to do something along the lines of make a backup image and then restore the image to the drive? I am not worried about the recordings on the drive. Basically, how should I do this and should I have to do anything special like using the -F option?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Well, I just went ahead and did it anyway. Just for anyone else that winds up in this position I used MFSLive CD v1.2 to do this. I copied the files over to a USB key that I own. The complete code that i used was:
    //mount the usb key
    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /dos
    //create the backup file
    backup -f 9999 -6so /dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
    //restore the file with expansion
    restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi /dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

My tivo harddrive was secondary master, thus the hdc.
    It worked like a charm, I just had to delete all the recordings after it came back up because the data for them was no longer there.

Before I did this, I checked the state of the system to see if I needed the F flag and it was already at 4M/256M, so I was ok.

Josh