S2 DirecTV guide & channel change wrong

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HFChristie, Oct 18, 2011.

1. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Has anyone else been having trouble with the Tivo (Series 2) displaying the wrong Guide information (I'm using DirectTV), and/or with the TiVo changing the channel to the wrong number?

The last month or so, every now and then I get a recording (for instance) of a REELZ program when the To-Do program was TBS. It's not always those two, but it's definately not the channel the scheduled recording is really on.

Also (this is related, I think to the issue above), when I turn the TV on to watch Live TV, it will be showing (for instance) a baseball game. The light on the TiVo says it's recording - which I would never do with a baseball game.

So, pressing "Guide" to see what I thought I was recording, the Channel Guide will display (for instance) with "Bones" selected in the guide on the correct channel, and the other channel information displayed around it. 10 ro 15 seconds later, the guide content changes and "Bones" has been replaced with the baseball game.

Apparently, the To-Do list was built using the first version, but the second was the "true" program - which should have told the TiVo to not record.

I started to notice this about 2 months ago, maybe 1 or 2 programs a week. I figured it was a program change. However, I'm now getting 0 to 2 "wrong" recordings a day!

I performed the Channel setup again, just in case - no luck. I then tried restarting (no luck), and going through the Guided setup again - no change.

I was going to try changing the number of digits for a channel (number of leading zeroes) and the "quick" or "slow" number entry settings, but I can't find them! They were there before, but I didn't see them this time when I did the Guided Setup. I really wish TiVo would put all setup options in the Restart or Reset System menu.

I have NOT done the delete and rebuild the program data. The last time I did that, it took ALL of my grouped recordings (by wishlist, program, etc), and disconnected them so each program is listed individually. Arg :mad: !!! I'd rather hold of doing that again until I've exhausted all other trouble shooting options.

Any comisseration or suggestions would be appreciated.

Harry

2. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    x

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    What's the model number of the TiVo and the satellite box? How does the TiVo control the sat box?

4. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    My TiVo is a TCD-240080, my satellite box is a D-11.

I did have to replace my satellite box about 2 months ago - an old fried D-11, but the replacement D-11 had a completely different appearance. I didn't notice any issues after initial setup, but ...

I do remember changing the number enter speed to "FAST" after I did the aforementioned Delete Program Data and Reset. I didn't notice anything after that, either, but ...

Does anyone know where you can change the number of digits, leading zeroes, and the digit entry speed? I thought it was part of the Guided Setup after the reset, but it wasn't there when I redid the GS to fix this problem.

I've tried to duplicate this, but it never changes incorrectly when I enter a channel manually, and it doesn't always mis-change when recording automatically.

The channels it goes to isn't always related to the correct channel. For instance, last night the TiVo was set to record "Body of Proof" at 9pm. This is on channel 15 (DirectTV). What recorded was "Unforgettable" on CBS (channel 5). Here, it could have just missed the "1".

I watch a lot of TNT (245), TBS (247), and Lifetime (252). The most common mis-change I notice is one of these three switching to REELZ (238) instead. Here, the only common digit is the "2".

Everything else on the TiVo is working fine, with the exception of an occasionally noisy fan. The OS is slow, but that's been that way since I upgraded to a 1TB drive.

5. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I would change it from Fast to Medium or Slow. I've never seen a TiVo pick Fast on its own. Each step down is usually more reliable.

Also make sure that the IR emitter is correctly positioned, tape it firmly in place, and cover it with black tape or foil to exclude any outside sources of IR interference.

If there are any options for number of digits, etc they will be under Messages and Settings - Channels - Channel Changing. You don't need to go through the full Guided Setup.

6. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I did the Channel Changing before I did the full Guided Setup - it did NOT include changing the number of digitsOR the speed of entry - Only the box (if necessary) and if ENTER is required or not.

Using ADVANCED, it notes I'm using IR Code 1074-B, "Enter" Yes. It doesn't mention anything about number of digits, leading zeroes, or speed of entry.

I distinctly remember entering the # of digits when I did the Guided Setup after the Delete Program Data (Kickstart), as well as the Speed. This was the first time (since I purchased unit in 2000ish) I had the option of entering the Speed.

Now, however, my Guided Setup - and Channel Changing - only ask about the Enter key.

Arg!
    Does anyone know WHERE we can change that setting (both the # of Digits AND the speed?)

7. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Well, I called TiVo Support.

You will be happy to know that there you CANNOT change the number of digits or the speed at all - even during Guided Setup - unless these are included in the Advanced Setup list. The "Advanced Setup" option in the Channel Changing setup after you select the Box brand. You can choose between "Recommended" and "Advanced".

The fact that I KNOW I changed the number of digits, and am 99% that I also changed the speed, is evidently immaterial - I couldn't have done it so I didn't.

I'm going to have to do the damned Delete Program Data again. Phooey!

Thanks for you help!

8. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I did the Clear Program Information & To Do List, and then the Guided Setup again. If anything, it's even worse.

Still no option to specify the number of digits or the speed for entering numbers.

Unfortunately, out of the firsxt 20 programs recorded after the setup, 9 recorded the wrong channel!

Arg!

9. DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    I had to get new IR eyes because my S2 wasn't changing the channels correctly

10. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    The options for number of digits and enter only show up for boxes that need them. The speed option is the A, B or C after the actual IR database code. A is Fast, B is Medium and C is Slow. If memory serves, only Series 1 TiVos used the actual words.

Once you change the code using the Advanced option, DON'T run the channel changing tests again or it will wipe out your settings. Just save your changes and test it yourself.

As noted, something else may be wrong. A bad IR cable, weak IR ouptput from the TiVo (never heard of it but anything's possible), or a bad sat box. I have 4 S2DTs running 4 Hughes satellite boxes and they NEVER EVER miss a channel change.

If you can't get IR to work there's another option in your case that involves the serial cable and a custom serial to USB converter. See http://www.patersontech.com/products/usbtvtranslator.aspx for more info.

11. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Sorry it's been so long since I've replied/updated this - I've been in the hospital racking up some major medical bills - I think the total is just under 400k! How I'm going to pay for that is beyond me. I don't think I can get that much for 2 cats and a waffle iron :( I will NOT pawn my TiVo! The house, the car, the kitchen appliances, but NOT the TiVo!!!

But, I digress; I got back earlier this week, and from what recordings I've watched, about 40% of the programs recorded the wrong channel.

I hadn't realized that the "A", "B", "C" was the speed. I had seen it and tried changing that value (the TiVo had set it to "B" during automatic config). "A" didn't work at all, "C" worked about as well as "B" - poorly.

I've ordered a new IR blaster cable (I can't see how they could go bad just sitting there, but ...), but wanted to ask a couple of other questions;

Anyway, the new DirectTV box (the original one melted down) was a different design, but the same model number (D11). TiVo decided it was an IR code "10074". Attached is a pic of the unit. Does anyone else have this DirectTV receiver, and do you have any problem with channels changing incorrectly? Do you happen to know the IR code your TiVo assigned to it?

Also, kind of off subject, my TiVo has started to display a cyan splash screen at the beginning of every recording. The recording used to just start playing after the channel changed. Now I get the cyan splash screen for 2-3 seconds before the recording starts to play.

Thanks for all your help!
    Harry

I do not get this splash screen when changing channels manually.

Attached Files:

12. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    If the new blaster doesn't help check out the Paterson link in my earlier post.

13. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Well, it's been almost 2 weeks with the new blaster, and my TiVo hasn't missed a channel change yet! Yippee!!

Wierd, though. I never thought of a blaster as a "perishable" item, or that it would only miss occasionally. :(

Oh, well. As long as it's working now!

Thanks everyone for all your help!