S1 w/ lifetime sub worth anything

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JerryLBell, Sep 17, 2007.

1. JerryLBell

JerryLBell Active Member

May 3, 2002

Advertisements

A few years back, a buddy of mine had an Series 1 TiVo (from Philips, I think) with a lifetime sub. The system died and he panicked and went out and bought another one. He sold me his busted unit and I replaced the drive (upped it from 40 Gb to 80 Gb) and have been using it ever since, first as my primary DVR and then as my upstairs DVR as I got a cable company HD DVR. We just got a cheap HDTV for the upstairs and the wife wants to get a second cable company HD DVR (I can't seem to justify the cost of an S3 to her).

Is this old S1 with a lifetime sub worth anything? Could I sell it online? The subscription was never transferred to me as my buddy and I never figured out how to do that and I still haven't learned so I don't know if it could be transferred to somebody else. I have no manuals and no adapters to send IR signals to other devices; I just have the TiVo and the peanut remote. Can anybody tell me if this would be worth a few bucks to anyone?

Thanks!

2. c-surfer

c-surfer Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Diego,...
    Hang on to it. There's likely to be a transfer offer when the Series 4 is released.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You really should notify TiVo that you're the owner of the machine before you try to pass it on to anyone else, no matter what method that "passing" takes, gift or sale.

You'd do well to advise any new owner to do the same.

There have been horror stories of LIFETIME subs getting switched to a new machine because the new owner never identified themselves to TiVo, and the former owner took advantage of the situation.

There may still be situations where TiVo would allow a S1 Lifetime sub to get transferred. Contact TiVo immediately and give them the ID numbers off the machine and say you're the new owner.

They may not insist on your friend's being involved, but if they do proceed carefully.

As for not having an IR blaster to control a cable or satellite box, those are available from a number of places, including from TiVo itself.

Oh...

As you may have noticed, the machine might still be worth something, especially being a Lifetime machine.

4. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

You mean the one that'll be able to burn High Def DVDs while it projects the show in 3D and does your laundry? ;)

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Advertisements

You call the people who control subscriptions and ask them to move the sub to your account. In this case, it would be Tivo customer service that you'd call.

However, despite what someone else said, you do not need to put the tivo on your own account before passing it on to someone else. That person should just be made aware of the reasons to have it put on their account once they have it.

6. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    TiVo has in the past insisted on the previous owner being involved in some way before a box can have its ownership transferred (in their records) to a new person.

If the person getting the box is the third owner and the second owner never had it in their name, the third owner might have a problem since they might not have any idea who the first owner was.

It's best for the TiVo to be in the name of the current owner, including for the sake of any future owners there might be.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Tivo has insisted on a lot of things that weren't accurate.

I've transfered several tivo's to my account and never needed to give the csr anything other than the TSN of the tivo - cuz' that's all that they need.

8. Glich

Glich New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    if its lifetime pre-99 you get 1 free transfer w/out a fee. I used my to move my s1 life time to my tivoHD.

9. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    "Pre-99" would be 12/31/98 and earlier. Actually it's pre 1/22/2000, about a year later. :)

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Exactamundo. I just used this option today for my new TiVo HD. Went without a hitch.

11. hunter69

hunter69 New Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Does anyone know if the key date is when the S1 was originaly bought, or when you registerd it? I have one that I got on ebay and then got lifetime in Jan of 2002.

12. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I believe the date is when you purchased the lifetime service (not the box).

13. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The key date is not when you bought it and it is not necessarily when you activated it. The key date is the date on which the lifetime subscription was purchased. That date has to be prior to 1/21/00