S1 transfer + new HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JamesA, Sep 4, 2007.

1. JamesA

JamesA New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Atlanta

Advertisements

I have a friend that has several original, stand-alone TiVo'es, all with Lifetime Service. One of these units on his account is actually at his father's house and is being used from there. -- (against TiVo policy?) -- He wants to get his father's S1 with Lifetime Service off of his personal TiVo(dot)com account and get it over to a NEW account that would be created for his father. Once this is complete his father wants to purchase a new HD unit and hopefully obtain multi-unit pricing on the monthly service for the new HD unit.

I've searched the forums fairly deep and cannot find a similar scenario that has been discussed here before. All of the discussions that I find relate to questions about moving Lifetime service from a grandfathered S1 to a new S3 unit, which is not what we're trying to do here.

1. Call TiVo?
    2. Create new account for his Dad.
    3. Transfer ownership of a Lifetime S1 to the new account.
    4. Purchase new HD TiVo (with multi-unit monthly pricing?)

And of course he wants both TiVo'es to be shown on his account when he logs into tivo(dot)com.

Any advice/recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

JamesA

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Just buy the new TiVo, and subscribe create an account for it, then transfer the other Lifetime TiVo to him and his account.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would not do this, under current MSD terms you can only get the MSD on new subscriptions meaning the subscription must be eligible for the MSD when you sign up. Therefor the account will have to be setup and one of the lifetime units transfered into it before you purchase the new TiVo that you want the MSD rate on.

Good Luck,

4. JamesA

JamesA New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Atlanta
    Is it a common and allowable request...giving an S1 stand-alone with Lifetime service to someone? Does having the same last name help? Is this borderline such that he'll need to find an agreeable rep on the phone to create the account, move the unit from one account to the new one, etc., or is it TiVo policy such that it will be allowed without question regardless of the customer service rep's current disposition?

Thanks again,
    JamesA

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

The order of events in your original post is fine.

Tivo will actually do steps 2 & 3 together if your Dad doesn't already have an account.

6. Bsteenson

Bsteenson TiVo is no BS

Jul 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I don't know how common it is, but I don't see a problem. TiVos with lifetime sevice are bought and sold all the time and the accounts transferred to new owners. Lifetime service sticks with the unit, regardless of where the unit goes.

Just call TiVo customer service and explain you want to transfer an account. I'd definitely transfer the account and get it in your father's name before he bought the new HD unit, however, to make sure the TiVo with lifetime was on record already so the new HD service would qualify for the multi-unit discount.

7. JamesA

JamesA New Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Atlanta
    Fantastic. We'll give it a shot. Thanks very much for the information.

James