S1 sound shifting to lower notes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by marlborobell, Dec 31, 2006.

1. marlborobell

marlborobell New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Berlin, MA

Advertisements

I have an old S1 that is still my primary TiVo (it has lifetime, so I don't want to junk it and see the monthly fee on my wife's TiVo go up!). Over the past few days, all sounds out of it (both programs and the TiVo beeps) have shifted down a few notes, and the resulting sound is also somewhat muffled as if the treble is gone. It's really weird to explain, but sounds almost like the sound chip just isn't keeping up, but getting itself back into sync many times per second (so that the missed data isn't usually noticeable -- just everything sounds like it's at a lower frequency) The video's fine, so I assume it can't be the disk at fault.

I've tried a reboot and a power cycle and nothing's changed. Has something horrible and permanent gone wrong, or is there a way to fix this?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Is this unit connected through an AV receiver or directly to the TV? Does it use composite or RF? Have you tried both connections?

3. marlborobell

marlborobell New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Berlin, MA
    D'oh!! Never thought of the outbound connection. It's connected to the TV via a karaoke-optimized VCR -- and my two-year-old has been playing with the VCR's remote.

The VCR has a sound shifter in it :( All is fine now.

I'll just blush and retreat into a corner...