S1 Sony changing channel on its own using basic cable (no box)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jangelj, Dec 28, 2009.

1. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002

Advertisements

This is an old Sony S1 tivo. There is no cable box. Just basic cable running into the built in tuner. More and more frequently it will just change channels in the middle of a recording. Sometimes it will change back to the correct channel, sometimes it won't.

So, if you are watching a recorded, hour long show, you can watch for 5, 10, 15 minutes, all off a sudden it is showing a different show. It doesn't end the recording, it has an hour worth of TV, but it is like the tuner is randomly changing channels during the recording. There is not a cable/satellite box, so my guess is the built-in anolog tuner is going bad. I just want a second opinion.

Thoughts?
    TIA, John

2. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    Does it ever do this when watching in Live TV mode? If so, is TiVo showing a different channel than what it thinks it's showing? Do you have a splitter or second TV on straight cable? I'd want to see if TV with no TiVo is also showing the wrong channel.

3. jangelj

jangelj New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    the tv in the living room is also on the same cable run. it has the correct show on the correct channel.

this is not a case of wrong channel lineup or something like that. The tivo will start to record the correct show, then randomly will suddenly show a different channel. It is almost as if I was using a satellite box to feed the tivo, and changed the channel on the sat. box while recording a show. The tivo would never know it and would go on happily recording. But, i am not using a box of any sort, it is just straight cable.

It really seems like the tuner in the tivo is "drifting" to another channel in the middle of a show. It is my mother in law's tivo, so I haven't had a chance to play with it enough to see if it is drifting to an adjacent channel, or changing to a random channel.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Unplug the TiVo and leave it without power for at least a minute.

Plug it back in and let it do its thing.

Sometimes these reboots will solve weird little problems.