S1 & S2 with Samsung DLP 16:9

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jdmatl, Jan 24, 2006.

1. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003

Advertisements

I did some searching of the forums, but didn't find what I was looking for, so here goes.....

Worst purchase of my life, a 50" Samsung DPL 50" :)

Why, the picture quality that was great on my tube 32" is substandard on this tv.

HDTV is fantastic...oh please S3 arrive sooner than later. ;)

But here is the weird thing, the S2 set for 16:9 has better ouput to my Sammy than my S1.

My s1 is getting RCA video in Via my Comcast Moto cable box (no svideo only rca on comcast)

The S2 is taking the cable signal directly from the RF side of things.

Using 16:9 mode with the S1 everthing looks "fat and stretched " which is expected.

But the S2 doesnt' seem to have this issue. Tv at 16:9 doesn't have this issue, things don't looks stretched.

I did setup the s2 to use 16:9 output, but some threads say this is only for DVD units not S2's that are SA's.

Have also set my quality to at least medium and for action shows, "high" on both units..

Haven't done any tweaking of the Sammy, it is set with factory default.

What about getting an inexpensive "up-converter/scaler" to take the RCA output to 720p or 720I? It looks to me you can up-convert a RCA signal, you need either Svideo or Compoent output.

thanks

Update:
    It was just my bad eyes, the S2 and S1 both "stretch" at 16:9. don't know why I didn't see it before on the S2. So the 16:9 setting doesn't do anything as other threads suggested.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The 16:9 setting is supposed to be for online content AFAIK.