S1 philips strange recording problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dan evans, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dan evans

dan evans New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I have a series 1 philips under subscription with a 9th tee network card. This was purchased used from Just Deals. BTW, I don't think I will ever buy anything from JD again, but thats another story.

The problem is the unit is losing audio at random intervals.The problem seems intermittent. Sometimes it shows up a few days after restart, other times it takes around 10 days. When the problem does show up, I see a blue screen on the tivo that says to the effect that there is no audio, check cable connections, try changing the channel, or reset etc. When I go to look at live TV I get the same error, no audio. Also when I look at recently recorded programs, only the first few seconds of the program are recorded, and I quickly get the end of recording save or delete prompt. The only way I know to bring back the audio is to unplug the power for a restart. At first I thought My selection of audio quality was affecting it somehow, but now it seems to do it no matter what I do with the menu settings.

I do have the Instant Cake cd for this tivo but have not used it yet. Does anyone think I have a bad tivo or bad hard drive ? It doesn't make any strange sounds and boots up ok with out problems.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Original or upgraded hard drive? If upgraded, how many GB?

3. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    The blue screen is an indication of loss of video. If only audio were lost, the unit wouldn't know. It's likely that your incoming signal strength is marginal/fluctuating. If you're just using the RF input directly, you should remove/replace any splitters between the TiVo and the cable connection to your house. You might also try adding a signal booster at this point, split one side directly to TiVo and the other side out to the rest of the house.

If you're using a set top box (cable or satellite), try replacing the cables between the set top and the TiVo or switch to another connection type (RF, RCA, S-video). If that doesn't work, you might want to try using a different set top box before doing anything else to TiVo.