S-Video to RCA or RCA to RCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jgmack1, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jgmack1

jgmack1 New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Is there any advantage connecting the S-Video output of my R 10 Directv Tivo receiver to the RCA Video input of my TV using an S-Video to RCA adapter (there is no S-Video input) compared to going RCA to RCA?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yes, but the advantage is to the business which gets the money you spend on the S-Video to RCA adapter.

Seriously, if you already have one of those adapters in your junk drawer you can try it to see if you can see any difference, but I wouldn't expect the difference, if any, to be enough to justify the purchase, and it might actually be worse.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I agree with unitron. At one time I had to run S-video to S-video because the TV only had one set of RCA type AV inputs and it was in use. Bottom line, no observable video improvement. In either case you still need to run three cables so might as well just use RCA to RCA.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If his/her television had an S-Video input I'd say go ahead and run an S-Video cable from there to the TiVo's S-Video output if you've got one of those cables lying around anyway, but a composite video input (yellow jack) is only going to accept just so good of a signal, and, besides, running the TiVo's S-Video output through one of those converters probably means it comes out no better than what comes out of the TiVo's composite video output.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    There's absolutely no advantage in going from S-video to RCA as opposed to going RCA to RCA. The S-video connection has the luminance (brightness) and chrominance (color) signals as separate signals whereas the RCA (composite video) has these two signals combined. It's just a matter of whether you're combining the signal in the source component or combining them externally using an adapter. Chances are the signal that's already combined internal to the device will be better than the one that's converted using an adapter.