S-Cards in a Premiere XL?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ccoulson, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    So, my S3 died last night and I picked up a Premiere XL this afternoon. I seem to be getting conflicting info as to whether or not I can use an s-card temporarily until I can get an m-card.

Sorry if this has been previously covered, but I couldn't find it on the boards.

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    AFAIK you can use an s-card in a Premiere/Premiere XL, however, you're limited to one tuner (unless you also have an OTA feed).

3. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    No, S cards will NOT work at all in a Premiere. You can physically insert it, but the Premiere either won't recognize it at all, or say it's an incompatible card (Something to that effect).

4. AnimusF6

AnimusF6 New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Vienna, VA
    Voila! Conflicting answers!

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Everything I've heard has said the premiere needs an M-card and won't work with an S-card.

And better yet here is the official word from TiVo.

Pre-installation checklist for Premiere and Premiere XL

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Also have to point out that S-cards aren't even made anymore AFAIK. What's out there is out there. Getting a cableco to switch S-card for M-card shouldn't be too too difficult - but I would make sure to get the receipt in writing from the tech for what happened, just in case you get double-billed because of the switch.

Just out of curiosity: how did your S3 just "die" to the point you had to purchase a whole new unit? What are you doing with the old unit?

7. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    aaronwt found the correct answer. TiVo used to have this posted in the technical faq...

Does TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL require two S-cards or one M-card?

• For full dual-channel recording, TiVo Premiere and XL require one M-card. Unlike the TiVo HD and HD XL, Premiere only has one CableCARD™ slot and therefore one M-card is required.
    • Note your TiVo Premiere/XL can also operate with a single S-card, but will only be able to record one digital cable channel at a time in this configuration

Now that reads...

Does TiVo Premiere and Premiere XL require two S-cards or one M-card?

• TiVo Premiere and XL require one multi-stream CableCARD (M-card). This single CableCARD provides full dual-channel recording.
    • Note that your TiVo Premiere/XL is NOT compatible with a single-stream CableCARD (S-Card).

mea culpa

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not the originator, but I have a 'dead' S3. Plugging it in powers on the fan and the drive gets power (I can feel it has power/is spinning).. But the front lights never come on, and no video is output.

This was on booting after putting a new drive in. I suspect I somehow borked the motherboard or power supply. Any info about potentially fixing it (it has lifetime) would be appreciated.. I also have a dead drive that CAME from that S3 (but it too seems to spin -- I want to try to get a controller card at some point).. Yes, it seems very coincidental for both of these things to happen within a few weeks of each other (earlier this year).