Russell T. Davies & Joss Whedon

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pteronaut, Aug 27, 2011.

1. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Has anybody else noticed RTD's liking of many things Whedon?

In Torchwood Season 2, He not only had James Marsters (Spike, BtVS & Angel) but had Jack buried alive for an intended eternity much in the same way that Angel was given an Unliving sea burial by Connor.

As S4 was made in the USA he has had access to many more of the Buffy & Angel crew including Skip Schoolnik, Kelly A Manners and Jane Espenson.

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I noticed those names in the credits. He must also have a thing for ST:TNG.

3. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Even Moffat's in on borrowing Angel story lines, with the Pandorica being another buried alive story, and Melody Pond / River Song paralleling the abduction of Angel's child to turn him into Angel's killer.

4. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Are they really borrowing plots from Joss Whedon, though, or are all three of them drawing from a similar well? Classical mythology is replete with stories about parent-killing children. Sometimes the myths even feature the whole "kids bury the parents alive" theme, too. (e.g. the Greek Gods overthrowing the Titans, with the Titans buried alive under Mt. Aetna).

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And let's face it, with all the plots Whedon & Crew used in Buffy, Angel, & Firefly, it would be pretty unusual if there WEREN'T some overlap between them and Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Smith...

6. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    To coin a phrase, there is nothing new under the sun. ;)

The shows I tend to like the most are those that find clever ways to acknowledge their source material, in so doing elevating themselves from "plagiarism" to "homage." Supernatural is particularly good at this. Smallville was particularly bad.