Run (HBO) - Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Apr 13, 2020.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Run, a new series from HBO. Not quite sitcom, not quite drama, I've seen it described as a black comedy (not sure that's it either). Here's the premise, from Wiki:

Ruby Richardson walks away from her ordinary life in the suburbs to revisit her past with her college boyfriend, Billy Johnson. The two made a pact 17 years earlier: If either one of them texted the word "RUN" and the other replied with the same, they would drop everything and meet in Grand Central Station and travel across America together.

The two leads are Merritt Wever (Nurse Jackie; I'll watch anything she does) and Domhnall Gleeson (most recently, General Hux). One of the Exec Producers is Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

I thought it was good, but not great. Part of my problem was trying to buy into the entire concept. It's so preposterous that it takes a giant leap of faith. They're going to have to write the heck out of this story to make it sell. Having said that, I like the leads, and it has great potential. It's only a 30 minute show, and I think consuming small bites at a time will help.

I'm definitely in for a few more eps. What did you think?

Edit: Misspelled name

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    tim1724 likes this.
  2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have nothing invested in the actors. I don't think I've ever seen woman and while I'm sure I've seen Gleeson (the name sounds familiar) he's not someone I need to watch. I watched the first episode and it was meh. The concept seemed kind of interesting, but the two characters are pretty unlikable. Wife and mother? (not sure if she mentioned kids) just ups and leaves for no real reason I could tell, only based on some ridiculous promise they made when they were kids and only if both agreed to it? Why on earth would she? And he admitted it was a drunk call. So why not just get off the next station and call it a fun diversion? Obviously they are trying to write in some spark between them. I really don't see any real spark. Sure they wrote in the whole train bathroom thing to make it seem like there was. But I just didn't see it. Maybe it will show up later? Was I the only one who hoped that when she got off the train in Pittsburgh she'd just go home? But of course if she did, there would be no series. I'll watch another episode to see if gets better, but I don't have high hopes.

As far as Amy Waller-Bridge, I'm getting the feeling she's just not really my type of writer. I watched Fleabag and it was OK, but completely forgettable. I didn't get the love for that series.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Pretty much what you said...at this point I'm more curious than interested. I suspect one side or the other of that equation will be changing pretty quickly.

4. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The woman is Merritt Wever. She played a supporting character on Nurse Jackie, who became a breakout star. She's already won two Emmy's after just ten years in the biz. She is a phenomenally good actor.

Fleabag was OK?!? Heretic! :D

DevdogAZ, tim1724 and tivotvaddict like this.
  5. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We each have our own tastes I guess. To me Fleabag just wasn't funny. I never watched Nurse Jackie (not being a Showtime subscriber) so I had no idea who she was. If you say she's great, I'll take your word for it. So far in this, well she's an actress, I'll give you that.

I should mention that if you want to watch actual funny British comedy, watch Breeders on FX.

6. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    If you're a Merritt Wever fan you should check out Unbelievable. It's a great crime drama and she's fantastic.

7. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Merritt Wever was the best part of Nurse Jackie. (Which is saying a lot, as that was a great show.) Although they didn't make much use of her in the last couple of seasons (to the detriment of the show, in my opinion).

Fleabag is quite possibly the best comedy series I've ever seen. But I think everything Phoebe Waller-Bridge does is great. (Killing Eve's first season, for example. The show declined somewhat when she wasn't writing it.) It's not clear to me how much she's involved in this show (she's one of many executive producers, and she's supposed to appear in one of the episodes) but she and Vicky Jones (the creator/writer of Run) have worked very closely on almost everything either of them has done, so I assume she had significant input on this show.

astrohip likes this.
  8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The premise is preposterous and Ruby, at least in this first episode, was obnoxious. The train bathroom scenes were silly but the thing that bothered me most was all the f-bombs they kept dropping out loud on the train, not caring at all about their fellow passengers. I hate people like that. I cuss, a lot sometimes, but never in a public place among people I don't know and where that type of language isn't expected.

I'll definitely give it another episode or maybe two but it had better get better or I'm out.

Steveknj likes this.
  9. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I know I harp on this a lot, but maybe that's a millennial (I'm so into myself that I don't care about anyone around me) thing?

The premise isn't that bad, and we've seen similar things in other shows (If in 20 years we aren't married, lets hook up) the execution though is horrible. The feeling I got is that these two don't even like each other (or didn't) so why would they even bother? I'm sure we'll find out that her marriage isn't that great, and he's still an alcoholic, or something like that. Otherwise, why would she leave a happy marriage on a whim? But if this is the case, then it's a formulaic premise and blah.

10. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    You don't think people think back to their college/high school crushes a lot during some part of their marriage.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, this is a pretty extreme example of that! ;)

As I said, I'll be curious to see what they're up to with this. I'm not in or out at this point. Just wait and see.

12. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Not enough to abandon their lives based on a one word text. I probably would have forgotten the details of what "Run" meant over the years.

Steveknj likes this.
  13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    We don't know she has abandoned her life yet. We know she is off on an adventure. I have watched plenty of other shows where 40ish people have had quick affairs with high school flings.
    The last season of the Affair just showed an example
    of a character(Allisons Daughter) leaving her husband and daughter for a while and eventually returning

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well I guess we don't know the full extent of their relationship yet. But in a happy marriage (again we don't know this either), people just don't up an leave based on a text like that. But like I said the premise is kind of interesting, so far, the execution is horrible. Does anyone here feel any kind of spark between these two? It just seems very contrived.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Still have mixed feelings about this. Give it one more.

I like the Merritt Wever character, but the guy stinks. He's an arrogant arse, and not in a way that makes you want to watch. He's either miscast, or written in a way that's not much fun to watch.

And some things don't make sense. You still "feel" close enough to bolt at the word RUN, but know nothing about them since college 15 years ago? Never bothered to FB or Google them? And why did her husband create that message? Even if he knew she had lied about yoga camp, that seems like such a drastic, irreversible step. Just came from left field.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, this show has only gotten weirder. And not in a good way.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think they are both jerks. Nothing makes any sense. She leads him on, then backs out, then she goes and leads another guy on to make him jealous, then backs out. Why? None of it makes sense. And, I guess(?) when she called her husband(?), the connection was going out so he couldn't hear her say to give her a week (then she thanks him for it? huh?) And then, the end, she gets shut out by hubby? Good, she deserved it. As with you, I might give it another week, but I'm on the fence. Again, the premise is interesting, but the execution is just horrible. None of it make sense with out any kind of backstory. We kind of get that the dude was having some issues with his...wife? gf? I don't know. And we know NOTHING about her background. At this point, I hate her so much that I just really don't care. Of course, because this is a show aimed at mellenials, they had to throw in her own insecurity with her body (which is fine), because you know, every parent of a millenial has done this to their kid.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Shrink?

I have a feeling (well, a hope) that when she finally shows up we'll start getting some real answers...

19. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    yeah, probably make us watch 5 episodes before we get there. Because that's how it is with TV these days. I'm not sure I want to stick around that long. I don't see any reason to be invested in these people.

tivotvaddict and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  20. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I don't hang in there, waiting for any specific answer or reveal. I used to do that, years ago. I'd continue to watch a show long after I quit caring, just to get answers. Finally I realized (thick skull, takes time for updates to get thru :eek:) that the payoff was never, ever worth the wait. Not once.

So for me now, unless a show grabs me from the start, it's all about potential*. Potential being everything from cast and writers, to the network, to that gut feeling. Goodwill plays a big part, but even that can't overcome dreck in the long run. Also, week to week growth helps (especially with sitcoms).

So far, Run is not living up to its potential (HBO, Merritt Wever, etc). It needs to get better, or else...

* I had a fantastic mentor who once told me Potential is French for "ain't done **** yet".

Steveknj likes this.