Rumor about Plex removed from this release

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Apr 10, 2015.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

Well, not to get everyone all riled up... I am sure this will generate some empassioned responses. And just to be clear this is still just a rumor built on the smallest tidbits of info.

First:

@atmusky posted on ZatznotFunny

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-04/tivo-begins-software-update-to-power-iheartradio-plex/

Second

@jdacats on the Premire forum reported on a CSR conversation today:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10468325#post10468325

Remember, this could all be coincidence and just a matter of too many service calls coming in asking "where is my Plex". Or something could have gone drastically wrong during the final stages of Beta testing. We should know soon for sure I hope.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    I couldn't care either way about plex, I just want the core functions to work spectacularly which are electronic guide, recording, playback, live tv, deleting, and channel tuning.

3. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I have no idea why you have a tivo...

4. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I do - for the same reason I have a TiVo - because those core functions didn't work worth spit on the piece of garbage Scientific Atlanta box comcast provided as the only alternative.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Then why are you in a thread about plex? That I don't understand.

Plex was not a rumor in the release notes, it was included in black and white.

Now it has become a rumor once again. I'm thinking there are two main reasons it was pulled: 1) something technical, where I'd much rather have it delayed than cause problems, or 2) something legal/contractual, which gives me concern. Tivo is very conservative legally, so if some party raised a stink, then we could be in for a wait.

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Which it does. Your request is answered! :up:

7. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Since it looks like iHeartRadio is affected as well, I suspect technical.

I don't often claim I am owed anything - but I do think it would be prudent for Margret to give us a quick response.

8. jwbelcher

jwbelcher Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Having it listed as part of 20.4.7 makes people think it will be turned on immediately after receiving the update. Since that wasn't happening the priority updates, and created some confusion, they probably just removed it from the release notes. I wouldn't read much into it. Besides, the apps are normally enabled separate from the actual release anyway.

9. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Very true... And that may be the case here.

Although, historically top level apps start to show up within a few days of the start of a release - so I would have expected iHeartRadio to have shown itself. It hasn't.

Margret usually comes and provides an update with release notes. She hasn't.

Something is definitely odd about this release.

10. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    :up:

11. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    tivo email support still thinks this way also they said plex and Iheart radio should be available 24-48 hours after tivo updates to 20.4.7 and a few service connections to the server.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  12. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
  13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I heard from a third party that Plex would be released in late May.

I will confess I have no idea what Plex is, don't know if I need it or want it, wouldn't know how to use it, yada yada. But I know a lot of people went nuts, like pitchforks after TiVo nuts, when it wasn't in this release.

So when I happened upon a comment in another forum from someone who should know, saying Plex in late May, I thought I'd pass it along.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Plex is a way to play video from your computer, and some smaller online sources, on the supported device. It's open source so it has a bunch of plug-ins that can do things like manage your ripped DVDs, TV show collections, etc... It's actually quite powerful if you're the type that likes to hoard a large collection of personal videos.