RSN in HD question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by hoopsrgreat, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1 of 21
    hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california

Advertisements

Well after getting the HD receiver from HD so I could get the Oakland As games in HD from the RSN ( I was told I would be able to get them) I later found out I was not inside the home market.... Dont understand that as I am in the teams home market. I live about 90 miles from Oakland in Oakdale. Now that it is hoops season my concern turns to the Kings games. Is the Comcast Sports Network in HD? If Kings games are on the Foz Sports regional coverage for Kings games will I be able to get those in HD?

Is there somewhere where I can go see a map to actually see what the boundary is? All they (at D*) keep asking me is to give them another zip code so they can punch it in the computer to see if it gets the game in HD.

What determines who gets it in HD? I cant remember exactly what the spot beam means... I seem to remember something about that a while back.

Thanks

2. Nov 6, 2006 #2 of 21
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Spot beams are 250 to 400 miles in diameter, which physically determines if the signal is available or not.

Sports regional boundaries are set by mileage, typically. The epicenter is usually city hall or the designated center of a metro area. NBA, for instance, blacks out everything in a 75-mile radius, I believe. It's a little different for every pro sport, each of which has its own set of silly rules designed to disenfranchise those who really want to see the games in the first place.

3. Nov 7, 2006 #3 of 21
    videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    I could be wrong about this, but I believe that Comcast Sports Net is available in HD -- but as far as I know, DirecTV doesn't carry the HD version. Fox Sports Net Bay Area is absolutely available in HD, and DirecTV does carry that on one of their MPEG-4 satellites, but for reasons that have yet to be explained, they don't offer that to viewers outside of the immediate Bay Area, even though the SD version IS available.

According to info in threads on the AVSForum, FSN says it's not their decision -- it is DirecTV that is the bottleneck. Some have posted that DirecTV's reason is that the spotbeam that carries FSNBA-HD doesn't quite reach areas like Sacramento, but I can debunk that, as I am getting signal levels of 99 from both the MPEG-4 satellites (in Sacramento).

I have no evidence to back this up, but my gut feeling is that because the Sacramento and San Francisco MPEG-4 locals are on different satellites, for some reason they can't cherry-pick the FSNBA-HD feed from the SF beam, while providing locals from the Sac beam. Purely a guess.

4. Nov 7, 2006 #4 of 21
    jbradway

jbradway New Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    I've written both Comcast and FSN and they say DirecTV is the one who has decided not to carry either RSN in the Sacramento market. DirecTV only replies with canned responses that never answer the question.

5. Nov 7, 2006 #5 of 21
    hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california

Advertisements

This is where D* needs to fix something. I am in the oakland A's and Sac Kings home market(I live about 75 miles from each) and can get all of their games in SD. Both teams games are carried in HD and D* does offer fox sports bay area in HD only to those that live basically in the bay area, even though the feed is given to many of us in SD.

I want things in HD now. I dont completely understand the reason, dont really care to. The only thing that matters to me is HD Yes or HD no. If it is No, I am not happy.... period.

6. Nov 8, 2006 #6 of 21
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Again, sports blackouts are set by the leagues, and RSNs or vendors are powerless to circumvent that. You can certainly blame them if they are not carrying something they are allowed to carry, but they can't be faulted for not carrying what they are not allowed to carry.

7. Nov 8, 2006 #7 of 21
    bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Ok but does it make any sense that the HD broadcast would be blacked out while the same SD broadcast is not? It seems to me if the SD version were available than the HD version should be available as well. :confused: Maybe I don't understand the rules.

ETA: Looking at the DirecTV website there are indeed areas where you can get FSNBA in SD but not HD. :confused: I wonder why that is.

8. Nov 8, 2006 #8 of 21
    jbradway

jbradway New Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    It has nothing to do with blackouts. The SD versions of FSNBA & CSNW have been airing for years here. It's just that D* isn't going to offer the MPEG4 HD versions at this time.

9. Nov 9, 2006 #9 of 21
    hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    That is incorrect. D* DOES offer the HD feed to FSBA feed, but it is only to people that are living in the Bay Area. For some reason, those of us that are considered ina teams home market, and thus get the RSN in SD do not get the HD feed that others are getting. The A's games are given in HD when available on fos ports net bay area, but even when that feed is offered, I only get the SD feed.

I was told when I ordered the D* HD receiver from D* that I would get those RN HD feeds, only to find out after I got the damn receiver that I was out of their spot beam or whatever the radius is to get the HD feed.

Get it fixed is all I want to see.

10. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Yes, D* incorrectly told many people across the country that they would get their HD RSN if they upgraded.

If getting the RSN in HD is very important to you, and you're covered by its spot-beam, you could always "move" your service address to one in the city where the RSN is available, at least until they make it available where you are. This obviously won't work if you're in part of the RSN region not reached by the spotbeam in question.

11. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    "hoopsrgreat" is in Oakdale, which likely is well within the SF spotbeam. I can report that the SF beam has no problem reaching Sacramento, which is roughly the same distance, though in a more northerly direction. I am getting a signal level of 100 on the SF transponders.

It should be easy enough for him to see if he's within the footprint -- call up the signal meter and check the 103 satellite -- there should be a solid signal on transponders 2 and 6. If there is, then signal level won't be a problem.

FYI, here is the text of an email that D* sent to a Sacramento subscriber in response to his question of why he couldn't receive FSN in HD:

We deliver FSN Bay Area’s HD feed to the coverage area using the same technology we use to deliver local channels to the Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto CA area. This technology is known as a satellite spot beam and it covers the areas immediately around the city like a spotlight. In zip codes near the outer edges of a "spot beam," we aren't able to offer local channels or FSN Bay Area in HD because there is a possibility that another satellite spot beam will overlap and cause interference. As a result, even though you do live within the FSN Bay Area local coverage area, you live in a zip code where we are not able to deliver it to you.

As I said in a previous post, not quite sure why D* is using this excuse, since with a 100 signal level, clearly this area is not on the "edge" of the beam.

12. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Yeah, I don't know either. I do know that there were lotsa folks up throughout New England that were told they'd be able to get NESN-HD but later found out differently (since they do not receive Boston locals).

It seems more likely that they've got authorization issues; i.e., they can't turn on just the RSN in HD for folks that are eligible for it but are outside the area where they are authorized for the RSN's "home city" HD locals (and are within range of the spotbeam). I assume they'll be moving the HD RSNs to the national birds when they're operational next year, and just dealing with some unhappy customers until then.

13. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    My only theory, which I can't prove or disprove, but it sounds good :D is that because of the way the MPEG-4 scheme works, they can only authorize a box to pick up the satellite that is beaming the MPEG-4 channels for their area. So, in the case here, our locals are on 99, but the SF locals (plus RSNs) are on 103. Since any box for this area would be getting the locals from the 99 satellite, perhaps they can't pick individual channels/streams off the 103? That would make some sense to me, though I can see why they wouldn't want to try to explain THAT to the customer!

As you said though, they need to figure this out, as it is making people angry.

14. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Could well be.

Yeah, they probably balanced making some folks angry with making those in the RSN home cities happy...plus being able to say that they're carrying these RSN's in HD is good marketing fodder (leaving out, of course, that it's only to restricted areas).

You'd think that there would be a better solution than "wait until next year." It makes people more angry to wait when they know the RSN is up there in HD and others are getting it, while they're stuck with SD.

15. webini

webini New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Hang on, hang on. I'm in Maine. So if I upgrade to the the MP4 equip there is no way I'll get NESN in HD because I don't get Boston locals? The HD locals were just turned on here. I understood NESN was "coming".

16. texasbrit

texasbrit New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    It's just the way DirecTV has decided for both technical and legal reasons to package and deliver the RSN. It's considered part of the HD locals package and only for the "home" city of the RSN. So if you want NESN HD you have to be getting the Boston locals. I assume that NESN HD uses the same ground and uplink equipment as the Boston locals. DirecTV probably has no way of allowing someone to get NESN-HD, even if they are in the Boston spotbeam, without giving them all the Boston HD locals (which of course they are not allowed to do). There is probably no easy way of giving authorization for just one station within the spotbeam, you either get them all or none of them.

DirecTV could change the way they deliver authorizations but my guess is that to be delivered outside Boston NESN HD has to become an MPEG-4 CONUS channel - which means that it will not happen until DirecTV 10/11 are launched next year (and even then no guarantee).

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
  18. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    When I realized I had gotten screwed after getting the D* HD receiver(It was free, and basically just an extra, i still kept my hr10-250 and other tivos) I started popping off zip codes closer and closer to the D*CSR.

I gave them a modesto zip. no good for HD.
    I gave them a manteca zip... no good
    Tracy zip. no good.
    Once I crossed the Altamont if I remember correctly, it was good. I think Livermore worked, but I could be wrong, it was the first week they started offering the RSN in HD in the Bay Area so my memory is a little foggy.

These RSN in HD (or lack of HD) was one of my last remaining gripes about D*, then they come out announcing this great new HD for RSN in your area. I called... yes you are good to go.

YEAH I am one happy person. I now get to watch my A's and Kings games in HD. Once I got the new shiny new receiver all hooked up, I sat down to watch the first A's game in HD...... what the f...., this isnt working.

I call D* and low and behold, I am now out of the area that can receive the RSN BA in HD. Well great, that was the ONLY REASON to get the D* HD receiver to start with.

Now I am PISSED because they screwed up. When you tell a customer they are getting something, or can get something and the customer bites, you better deliver. Kind of like the TV store that says if you buy today you can take it home. Then when you get back to customer service they say we will have to deliver it in 4 weeks.

Well screw that!!!!!!!!!!

19. farmdwg

farmdwg New Member

Sep 13, 2003
    hoopsrgreat - Have you gotten anywhere with this? According to DTV we are the spot beam for Fox Sports Bay Area. We get the standard def feed just fine, but HD is not there...

I have called Fox Sports Bay Area to confirm that they are not blacking out the games and that it is a DTV issue.

I'm in Modesto, what would happen if I called up and told them that I am moving back to the bay area to change my zip code? Do you think I would get the game?

20. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001