RS Uncorrected

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by llclark22, Oct 11, 2017.

1. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017

Advertisements

I am going to start a new thread here as some of the problems from my previous thread were solved. I have a TiVo Bolt hooked up to a 1ByOne OTA 70 mile range antenna using existing cables from a Direct TV satellite dish. I have one double female connector on the outside of the house bringing the cable into the house. The total length of cable is approximately 35'. I am about 30 miles from the towers with very little terrain change and have lined up the antenna using a compass and provided minor adjustments to get the strongest signal possible. My signal strength maxes out at 72 with an average of 67 or lower. My SNR maxes out at 29 dB with an average of 26 but it jumps around quite a bit. I have the pre-amp that came with the TiVo and a signal booster hooked in directly before a splitter that leads to the Tivo and to a TV in a bedroom. My problem is: I am still getting very pixilated pictures and my RS Uncorrected signal is climbing rapidly while my RS Corrected remains at 0. Is this a cable problem? A faulty TiVo? Or do I need something else to fix this issue. I am dumbfounded and frustrated!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good luck.

Pre-amp that came with the TiVo?

3. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I thought we cleared this up in the other thread that the pre amp didn’t come with the tivo

4. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Other thread ->TiVo Bolt Horrible playback and reception

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You need to start by isolating all of the existing cables in your testing. First thing to do is verify nothing wrong with your antenna or received signal by running a temp cable feed directly from the antenna in through a door or window to the TiVo and see if you get a clean signal.
    That statement is puzzling, as I have no idea what you might be doing. I assume it is NOT a splitter, since you seem to accurately refer to a splitter later in your post. Do you simply mean a barrel connector that joins two stretches of coax together? Just because there might be two cables going through your wall, do not assume both are being used. When Dish first setup my service, they had some incompetency (read as dumb installers) problems using both cables, so they just abandoned one line and used splitters in the crawl way.

You do need to trace out every accessible inch of your coax to look for unwanted "things" that Dish left connected. When I threw Dish out of my life, I did find one strange device in the crawl space under the house that I removed. That "device" basically looked like a normal two-way splitter, but it is labeled differently as a
    Tap" (Ecostar 190506) and is clearly marked for MoCA "To Node", "To Client" and "To Host" along with "Satellite DC pass". They did also use two other normal two-way splitters in down stream lines from this tap, so I have to assume it is not simply a MoCA compatible splitter. I am guessing they had to use this tap because they had problems using both output legs from the solo node that connected directly to the dish. I call it a "strange device" simply because I know squat about satellite stuff and do not know the purpose of this tap. But I do know it cannot cause any problems after I removed it!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I am not sure what the unit is that came with the TiVo then. It is a square unit that has coaxial in from the antenna and coaxial out to the TV. At first, I thought it was a signal boost but I think someone in the other thread said it is not a signal boost but a pre-amp...

8. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Yes, it is a barrel connector, I didn't know what to call it other than a threaded double-female connector. :)
    I have checked the cables going into the house and have designated the one that has the signal through it and the dead one. The cable run is clear from entry into the house through to the input on the "white box" that I received with the TiVo itself (not sure what the box is... Signal booster or pre-amp or ??) The only splitter is after the white box which sends signal to a TV in our bedroom. This TV gets a stronger signal but similar reception as far as pixelation goes.

9. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Since nobody else has ever seen any type of signal booster/pre-amp provided by TiVo, I have to wonder if you got a returned box that someone accidentally included that item on the return And if that is so, then I would think there is a good chance that the box was returned because it is defective.

There should be nothing in a box for a TiVo Bolt except the Bolt, the power supply, the remote+batteries, and some cables.

10. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I will take a picture of the unit when I get home tonight. It is white like the Bolt and was included in the packaging along with the above-mentioned items. Maybe something new that they have started adding to new Bolts? the The box was sealed and the plastic formed container had a specific spot for it.

11. llclark22

llclark22 New Member

Sep 29, 2017
    So, I totally stand corrected... The unit I thought came with the TiVo, in fact, came with the antenna. We purchased both at the same time so I associated it with the TiVo Bolt rather than the antenna. With this being said, maybe that will help with you all being able to answer better! Sorry about the confusion!!

12. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    If I remember the details correctly from you other posts, that antenna and amp combination is probably way too powerful for your situation. If it is the amp I am thinking of, it has a full 20dB gain, and that is a lot. I live in a fringe area where the best antenna I have tried without any amp cannot produce a signal strong enough to get any picture at all on any device (signal levels are below 20%), and that amp brings most signal levels in the Bolt to mid 60% or higher!

I suggest you go back to my first suggestions above and run a temp coax directly from the antenna to your box and test the signal that way. And you probably do not want to use that amp unless you find signal levels below 40%.