RS-TX20 is about to die, Tivo Premiere??

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by ErinLindsey, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ErinLindsey

ErinLindsey New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Omaha

Advertisements

My Toshiba RS-TX20 has been dying a slow death for a few months. It's been doing this thing where the video "pauses" for a second or two every once in awhile. Today it's been doing it fairly consistently...about every 2 or 3 minutes, sometimes more often.

Little while ago, I noticed that sometimes when it pauses it makes a clicking sound. (bet that's the hard drive getting ready to commit suicide)

So, I'm betting it's about to go soon. (please dont die little Tivo, dont go!)

I'm going to miss the dvd burner...I just cant decide if I want to just get a cable box DVR (cox communications) or if I want to go with Tivo Premiere once my dvd burner Tivo kicks off.

Is Tivo Premiere any better than the dvd burner Tivos?? I know I can transfer stuff to my computer (been doing that for awhile) but can I put tivo recordings onto an ipod?

Does anyone know if I can put the shows onto a pin drive and play them on an iMac or on a computer that runs Linux? I had been recording shows for my sister onto dvd, if I can put them on a pin drive so she can play them on her computer, I might consider getting the Premiere. The Tivo has always been better than a cable box DVR.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The hard drive is probably bad. You could just replace the hard drive and continue to use the rs-tx20.

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Member

Nov 13, 2007
    The TiVo Desktop Plus software ($24.95) will convert your TiVo files for iPod, Blackberry, Palm, and a lot of other devices, as well as generic h.264 and MPEG-4. When I retired my RS-TX20's, I purchased the software.

There's also a Roxio package (2010, 2011?) that will burn TiVo files to a DVD. It's not near as clean as the RS-TX20, but it gets the job done when necessary.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Use kmttg to move recordings to an iPod, iPad, etc...

I works great and is free.

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

5. ErinLindsey

ErinLindsey New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Omaha

Advertisements

sorry I didnt get back before now. (Christmas and New Years got me a little busy)

I deleted a bunch of stuff off of my hard drive, and it seems like the Tivo started working a little bit better since then. No crunchy noises from the hard drive. Not sure if I had something with some bad code in one of the saved shows, or if the Tivo just decided not to die yet.

My dad bought a new blue ray player that has a wifi connection to our internet, and got himself a Hulu+ account, so I may be able to use that to watch some of my tv shows if the Tivo goes belly up anytime soon. (can also get a netflix account with the blue ray player too)

I may go to Tivo Premiere if this one dies, since I did some research and saw that I can use my iMac and Roxio to burn some disks with the Tivo Plus, and that I can put some shows on my iPod.

My sister didnt understand why I love my Tivo so much. I told her it's the fact that I can burn dvd's without any hassle (which I've been doing for her and my b-in-law every week so they can watch Big Bang Theory) She still didnt understand why. She'll never get it.

I do still have my Pioneer 810, (It's hard drive died last year) that I'm thinking of asking my boyfriend to resurrect for me. He likes projects like that. So, I may not have to get Tivo Premiere just yet.

I'm going to go see if I can some of my tivo shows transferred over to one of my ipod's.

6. pakiman26

pakiman26 New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Hi I have had a Toshiba Tivo TX20 for many years. It has a DVD burner built in which is great. However recently it stopped working - everytime I try to burn something it malfunctions and messes up the disc - I had to throw away many discs. On one forum I read that now it requires -RW of some particular brands - but it didn't say which one. I have been using -R which used to work but not anymore. Has anyone else experienced this issue and have successfuly fixed it using -RW. If so which brand worked for you.