Royal Pains - S3 EP 9 - Me First

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Seriously, THAT was the big reveal about Paige? What a let down. I still don't understand why THAT is something she couldn't tell Evan. It really doesn't make sense to me

I liked the episode though.

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    The woman who plays paige's mother looks a lot like the former wife of Steve Martin but it isnt her name listed in the show's credits.

3. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Evan blamed Hank for his short break-up with Paige? Really? Hank had nothing to do with it, it was all Evan's puerile egocentricity. Paige made it perfectly clear that Hank was not to tell Evan. It was a direct order, patient to doctor. I know Evan is ethically challenged, but his reaction was almost laughable. My wife turned to me after Evan's tirade and asked me if that wasn't a childish tantrum.

Divya really didn't really have helmet hair. And for someone that's cut off and broke, she sure can still afford to accessorize, again, from my wife.

4. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I was waiting for Zima's character to try to seduce Hank and then start punching him...oh wait, wrong Hank.

5. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Paige was never treated by Hank (was she?). She asked him if he could be her doctor he declined due to the conflict and she said don't tell Evan. I'm not sure that counts. Is saying someone asked to be your patient and you declined a violation of patient confidentiality? Even if it was, he could have said something like "I saw Paige. I can't tell you what happened due to confidentiality, but I encourage you to talk to her." That doesn't give out any info.

I diagree that Evan is ethically challenged. Maybe I've missed it but I don't remember him doing things unethical. Annoying at times, overzealous in marketing and promotions and eager to please, yet.

6. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Crashing Boris' party by lying to get in during the pilot episode?

--Carlos V.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This was a dumb, disappointing episode. Paige's big secret was nothing. She can't tell her fiance that her mom has depression issues? Even the two subplots were disappointing. The kid was annoying and had a weird accent. Divya's doctor was a complete a-hole.

Evan is an idiot. Paige was trying to tell him what was going on but he wouldn't shut up and listen. He was too intent on calling her a liar. Then he blames Hank and smashes his windshield because he was too egocentric to listen to Paige? I hope the first scene next week is Hank breaking down the door and kicking the crap out of Evan.

At least this week we weren't subject to Evan's malnourished, naked chest.

Jill Flint can wear her some tight dresses and skirts.

I meant to mention this last week but forgot. I hope that when I get super rich that I don't live in a huge mansion like Boris. The man seems to have no friends and is surrounded by lackeys. I'd never want to live like that.

8. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I cringed when the Saab's windshield got smashed.

Unnecessary damage to a modern classic.

9. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I totally agree with this. I always thought a lot of what goes on in this show is pretty outlandish, but I always chalked it up to it being TV and it's good escapist fun. Most you know that I usually don't let stuff like this bother me, but for some reason, it did. Maybe it was because it was built up over a course of episodes that Paige has some big secret. And then it turns out to be one that not only SHOULDN'T have been a big secret, to one that makes no sense to be a big secret in the first place. This isn't the kind of thing you keep from your fiance, unless you are SO totally insecure that you think ANY little thing is going to lead to a breakup. That never seemed to be the way Paige's character was written. I'd kind of believe it from Evan, but not from Paige.

Oh well, I still like the show well enough to keep watching, it's not a show stopper, but really a disappointment.

10. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    One other thing... The show went out of its way into manipulating us into thinking that Paige was cheating on Evan when her mother complimented him on noticing Paige's artistic talents "unlike her other boyfriend." No past tense indicated. They even put that scene in the previouslys.

11. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was very disappointed in this whole plot line. First, Paige putting Hank in a position to have to keep things from his brother and second with the whole confrontation scene with Paige and Evan. If she had really wanted to tell him the truth she would have just stood up to him and waited for the tirade to get over and then talk to him not just have a tantrum herself. That is not a good relationship. He DOES put her on a pedestal and always will. I think the show tried to throw controversy in between Evan and Hank and they didn't need to do that. Bleh.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    You think this could qualify as a "Jump the shark" moment? The more I read everyone's reaction (which is similar to mine) the more I'm thinking this.

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Ha, I very nearly wrote this same thing. It saddens me if it is, I really enjoyed the show but just really not too much this season. I really liked how Evan's personality was changing and even their father showing up. Wait, Henry Winkler...the Fonz...Jump the Shark....I see now. :D

14. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Are you sure that we know the whole story with Paige's secret? Her father was really weird about Hank treating his wife, and that does not make a lot of sense. So we have both Paige and her father behaving in a way that does not make sense. It could just be bad writing. Or there could be something else that we do not know yet.

If there is something more to it than just a depressed mother, I can understand Paige not telling Evan. Evan tends to blab things that he should not. Or even if there is no more to it, I can still see some sense in Paige keeping it from Evan. Maybe Paige's father is very secretive about things he considers private family matters, and over the years Paige has been indoctrinated to a similar unhealthy secrecy. Or maybe she just did not want to upset her father by telling Evan about something that is obviously a hot-button issue for her father.

Anyway, I do not see anything that happened in this episode as being out of character for Paige. Or Evan, who has often overreacted to things and behaved irrationally.

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    My assumption is that Paige's dad didn't want to risk her mom's condition getting out because it would have an effect on his campaign. He wanted to make sure that he's in full control of the situation.

As for Paige and Evan....I still don't see it. Yes Evan overreacts, but if Paige explains the situation to him at the beginning, then why would he? And by telling Hank, knowing how close Hank and Evan were, she was risking it getting to Evan anyway. Either way, I have more problem with them building this up to be a lot more than what it was, than what actually happened. And when we found out what it was, it was a huge letdown.

16. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Yes, and I had to turn on the closed captioning to realize that she said her other boyfriends, not boyfriend. The plural implies, or at lease suggests previous boyfriends, not a current boyfriend. Evan knows that she has had other relationships in the past. Yes, I know that CC can't always be trusted, but that's what it said, though like you I thought it really sounded like boyfriend.

I agree, not out of character. I thought he was getting better, but this was many steps backward into shallow Evan again.

:up: This!
    The writer's deliberately had her NOT explain it to Evan so he could overreact. Everyone in the audiance knew Evan was wrong, which is a kind of game they play. Not a good game either. This was really a big buildup to nothing resulting in an unsatisfying conclusion. Unless they are going to play it out with a further revelation or more hidden truth, this was a badly progressed plotline.

17. AeneaGames

AeneaGames Member

May 2, 2009
    A depressive mother might not be that big of a secret to most people, but there are still plenty of families around in the world where one does not talk about a mentally ill family member...

Add in an old-fashioned former general who wants to be a politician which might make it even more a thing that is not talked about...

18. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    No, that's not it. At least, not all of it.

If the general were behaving rationally with the goal of keeping his wife's condition quiet, the best thing to do would have been to hire Hank to help, and stress the importance of Hank keeping it quiet, as is his responsibility with doctor-patient privilege.

19. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I have to agree with you there....

20. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I think that we can all agree on the fact that Evan is an idiot.