Roxio's Response As To Why Tivo Import Resolution is Crippled

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by gamo62, Oct 25, 2011.

1. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    I've been trying to figure out why Roxio has crippled Tivo file support at 640x480. You can't even import an SD program without it being reduced. I've talked to Tivo, and they have not set any restrictions. Initially Roxio said they did not either. Then they changed their tune and said it was the networks who insisted. Once I mentioned that I have no CCI flags set on ANY channels except the premium channels, I get this doozy of a reply.

"I have discussed with our engineers and product managers. There is no limit for broadcast, but they put the limit on TiVo and software that can convert it to prevent piracy. It seems the TiVo representative is not aware of these rules. Also..., any company that doesn't have this restriction is probably not licensed by TiVo despite being able to accept their files."

What a load of crap! I do not buy it at all. How do other programs get away with it if that's the case. Here I was bitching at Nero for not having Tivo support in Nero 11. (Kwik Media plays Tivo files fine btw) But I am more upset at Roxio for a lame excuse. These guys have lost my business. And Toast even advertises that as a feature. Burn your DVR content to DVD.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    While that is a ridiculous answer DVDs have a maximum resolution of 720x480, so you're really not losing much if they rescale to 640x480. The biggest problem I see with that scenario is that DVDs have several authorized resolutions and 640x480 is not one of them. So they'd have to rescale the 640x480 output again to match one of the DVD approved resolutions...

720x480
    704x480
    352x480
    352x240

That could impact quality quite a bit.

Have you ever tried VideoReDo? It can make DVDs from TiVo files without resizing. It can even make non-complaint DVDs from some of the oddball resolutions used on some TiVos. (i.e. 480x480, 552x480, etc...)

Dan

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    What other programs get away with it? AFAIK (it's been a while since I looked at this), TiVo Desktop has the same kind of limits. And the other programs I know of that can handle .TiVo files are, indeed, not licensed by TiVo.