Roxio Toast 15 support TiVo Transfer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by JoeTaxpayer, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    OWC has Toast 15 on sale, and I should update soon, as my newest rev is 10. Soon a MacOS update will kill that rev, I'm sure.

TiVo Transfer was part of the Toast package. I'm looking at Roxio's site and don't understand if it's still included. Anyone?

2. wml1950

wml1950 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Toast no longer has tivo transfer in the most recent versions. Tivo transfer, which was included in earlier versions of Toast, will work with Tivos through and including Premiere. Unfortunately, Tivo transfer will not work with Roamio or Bolt.

3. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    That's incredibly lame. TiVo needs an official program for Windows and MacOS.

TiVo Desktop on Windows does still work well with the Bolt though (and the Bolt is crazy fast, like 170-250Mb/s)...but of course they no longer distribute TiVo Desktop and it's no longer officially supported.

They need a new TiVo desktop for both OSes. I watch like 1/2 my shows on a PC!

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    TiVo hasn't officially supported PC<->TiVo transfers for years. It's extremely unlikely that there will ever be a new TiVo Desktop.

A Hydra-ted TiVo cannot transfer from a PC at all and there is no commitment to restore it.

pyTivo is much better than any version of TiVo Desktop for transfers in either direction and kmttg is better than TD for TiVo->PC transfers.

mattack likes this.
  5. Dec 4, 2017 #5 of 19
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ooh, I did not know this! This is another reason I won't upgrade to Hydra I guess.

I extensively use kmttg to download entire shows (some I watch via other means at faster-than-realtime, and some I save only musical performances of talk shows, though I'm doing that less often nowadays).. and even to offload things that I then watch on hulu without commercials.. (Then delete the local copy.)

6. Dec 5, 2017 #6 of 19
    JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thank you. I still have my Premiere and use it to transfer. Too bad, the connectivity between the Mac and TiVo worked so well when it was available.

7. Dec 5, 2017 #7 of 19
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I never got Toast since it supposedly always requires/required you to TRANSCODE the recording, i.e. couldn't just download the raw show..

so it was WORSE than the free kmttg. I would have GLADLY paid for a program that worked better (and especially had a more native UI) than an open source program, but it did less... Heck, I'd *still* pay for a program if it GUARANTEED full downloads (you still get a download cut off if there's a glitch in the recording -- but the underlying Tivo system knows how to transfer such recordings, since they're completely full _when transferring between Tivos_..).

8. Dec 6, 2017 #8 of 19
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Transfer between TiVos is different. For one thing, it isn't encrypted. All of the problems with transfers to PC are with the TiVo S/W and cannot be eliminated by the PC.

9. Dec 7, 2017 #9 of 19
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have no idea what you mean by "eliminated by the PC".

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I think it was supposed to be "initiated by the PC".

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Actually no. What I am saying is that the problems are with the transfer s/w on the TiVo and that there is nothing that the PC s/w can do about them.

mattack said
    implying that if the PC s/w did the right thing, everything would be OK and I'm saying that working between TiVos means nothing.

12. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    My bad - sorry.

Do you know for sure that transfers between TiVos aren't encrypted? If that's the case it may be a way to get clean downloads without the TS transfer corruption issues that most people seem to have. Back when I was writing DvrBARS I was able to figure out enough of the raw format to extract copies of the cutesy startup video and the THX calibration video on Premiere XL models.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You can download the equivalent format as MRV between units by adding the following to download URL:
    Code:
    &Format=video%2Fx-tivo-raw-tts

However it is encrypted in a different format than the normal TTG .TiVo encryption, and I don't think anyone has been able to crack the encryption. Way back for series 3 units this download happened much quicker than normal TTG downloads since there is no CPU processing by the TiVo needed to convert file during the download.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    ClearToLand likes this.
  14. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Thanks. I had that URL syntax bookmarked on my last PC, but it's long dead and at the time I only had Series 2 models to play with.

It's worth another look even if it really is encrypted and I don't get anywhere.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yeah, I should have said that it isn't encrypted the same way.

What happens if you try to send one of those files back to a TiVo?

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Doesn't accept it. Of course if we had ever been able to crack the MRV and/or MRS eco system and have a PC pretend to be another TiVo then things would be more interesting.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm thinking maybe there's some h/w encryption/ecryption involved but that is pure speculation.

18. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What is the reason for current transport stream downloads being faster than non-transport stream?

(as we know, TS has to be used for MPEG 4 channels -- which at least for me, seems to be all HD channels EXCEPT the broadcast channels.. which is a shame, since as we have discussed in the kmttg forum, TS downloads have glitches in them even if you get a "full" recording time-wise..)

19. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Don't really know, but maybe because TS mux is easier than PS mux? Cable + satellite video transmissions are in TS container since it's more tolerant of errors/glitches, but looks like TiVo TS mux is buggy as we've seen.