Roxio throws in the towel when it comes to Toast and TiVo support

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Dark Helmet, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Northern...
    I just wanted to let everyone know that if they are considering upgrading to Toast 11 they should NOT do so, as Toast 11 has a serious bug regarding TiVo support and it looks like to me that Roxio is not going to fix it.

You can read the thread I started on the Roxio forums here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/76689-toast-11-tivo-support/

For those of you who don't want to read the whole thing, the executive summary is:

• I upgraded to Toast 11.
    • I ran into a serious bug that would crash Toast while editing out commercials.
    • I ran the issue to ground with tech support, up to the second level.
    • The help ticket got closed out as "solved" even though they never provided a fix (and basically never gave me an answer at all).

It's a shame, actually ... the part I hated most about Toast 10 was the video editor, and that was actually improved in Toast 11. I can only suggest that if you care about TiVo support that you NOT upgrade or purchase Toast 11.

What I ended up using as a solution was MPEG Streamclip; I cooked up a perl script which extracted out the metadata from the TiVo files (using tivodecode), and then fired up MPEG Streamclip for editing and transcoding. The script then tags the files with the TiVo metadata with Atomic Parsley and imports them into iTunes. Seems to work well enough and doesn't have any of the audio sync issues I ran into with other solutions (please, I hope the authors of kmttg and iTiVo don't take offense; I know the problem is actually with the back-end programs you're using).

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Well, don't just tease us. Post your script! :)

3. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Northern...
    Oh, huh ... sorry, I didn't think anyone would care! Okay, since you asked ... I've attached it below.

A couple of notes:

• You give this script a list of files on the command line.
    • It runs a bunch of tivodecode processes in parallel to decrypt all of the files.
    • It will fire up one copy of MPEG Streamclip per file. You need to save the output in either the work directory or your documents folder (with an .mp4 extension, but MPEG Streamclip should add that already).
    • You actually need to Quit MPEG Streamclip when you're done so the script knows that you're done with the file.
    • Extra packages you need: tivodecode, MPEG Streamclip, Atomic Parsley.
    • It should work with the Perl that comes with OS X (you shouldn't need any additional perl modules).

It doesn't do as much error checking as I would like; it's fragile. Comments and suggested improvements welcome. I don't know if putting this as an attachment will preserve the text good enough, but we'll see.

Attached Files: