Roxio 8.0 - DAO.MSI issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ksalwitz, Jan 1, 2006.

1. ksalwitz

ksalwitz Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Gilbert AZ

Advertisements

I recently upgraded to roxio 8.0 just to take advantage of the Tivo capabilities. I was running 7.0 with no problems, but since they are both owned by Sonic Software I didn't want to pay to upgrade MYdvd since I liked the Roxio better. Ok now I get the message telling me that it can't find my DAO.MSI file and and error 1706 installer failure from windows. I'm running XP and Office 2000 Professional. There is not a DAO.MSI anywhere on my PC and according to Microsoft there shouldn't be unless I'm running Office XP. Thoughts? :confused:
    Thanks
    Ken

2. rwrobb

rwrobb New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    San Rafael, CA
    Regarding your note on DAO. Here are some thoughts.
    Data Access Objects (or the clever acronym "DAO") is part of Microsoft's MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) install.
    Various other vendors will sometimes include the DAO with their products, such as ATI video cards, but it's relationship with MS Office is that it's used in the MS Access database program.

MSI's, by the way, are installer programs, I guess from Microsoft Software Installer.

Anyway, I did a search and found a document at devhardware com, talking about stopping Win XP from asking for the DAO MSI. One of the comments pointed to the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, where an entry for DAO was found.
    That user said he/she deleted the entry and the request for the DAO MSI stopped.

He/she did make an interesting comment - that install of DAO on Win XP came from ATI. Uninstalling the DAO may have some negative impact on other parts of that user's system, but none had been noticed so far.

To get the DAO back on your machine (in case Office 2K Pro needs it, you can download the MDAC from microsoft's site. NOTE: There are various versions and it's usually a good idea to ensure that you keep things at a consistent level (this means, if you're using Excel, Access or any other application that relies on Data Access, you should use the appropriate MDAC).

Hope this helps. Happy New Year.
    RR

3. ksalwitz

ksalwitz Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Gilbert AZ
    I removed most of the ATI software, as I don't need most of it anyhow. I then removed the DAO program and it seems to be working fine after reboot. Hopefully I can now import my .Tivo files and burn to my hearts delight.

Thanks
    Ken

4. rwrobb

rwrobb New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    San Rafael, CA
    Ken, Regarding "burning to your heart's delight" - personally, I'm thinking of buying a separate machine to burn to DVD, hook it between my Tivo and my TV, play a program and press Record. Doing it all on my computer seems like a great idea, but the transfer time, conversion time and just figuring out all this stuff doesn't seem worth it to me.

When you get a chance, why don't you let me know the total time from (A) start of transfer from Tivo to (Z) ejecting the completed DVD. It might be interesting to others as well.

Oh, and glad I could be of help.
    Randy

5. ksalwitz

ksalwitz Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Gilbert AZ

Advertisements

I still have a problem with the roxio software. I'll let you know as soon as I can provide the info. It's usually the same amount of time to transfer as the show is long. i.e. if it's a half hour show it takes a half hour to transfer. I haven't timed the burn of a dvd from MYDVD from sonic, but it's veeerrrry slow. I will follow up and let you know.

Ken

6. rwrobb

rwrobb New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    San Rafael, CA
    Thx

7. jjdon

jjdon New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    To tell the truth, I don't even have Tivo. I was searching for this problem, which I've also had before, and found several threads about it. I registered just so I could post this for all. Go to the address in the subject (won't let me post URLs, but this isn't spam)
    and do what they say, and the problem will go "Poof". It's really very simple to do. You just unregister dao, and then re-register it so windows can find it again. Works fine and instantly......

8. greyhavens49420

greyhavens49420 New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    3 Cheers for jjdon and frankcolella!! Thank you so much guys; this fixed my problem PERFECTALLY!

God Bless

grey out