Router Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GTLYON13, Feb 18, 2007.

1. GTLYON13

GTLYON13 New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Grand...

Advertisements

O.K. I'm going to make this as short as possible. My wife and I took in a friend over a year ago. He hooked up a Belkin router to our computer so he could get the internet in his room. Well he no longer lives with us, but the router is still hooked up to our computer. When I tried to just unhook this thing, I couldn't connect to the internet. When Tivotogo became available, I ended up just hooking up a Netgear router to the Belkin, and got Tivotogo to work. Question is, how do I unhook the Belkin router with out losing internet connection. I talked to this person about 6 months ago, and he gave me what I'm assuming is the WEP key. He doesn't know how to unhook it either. Any help would be appreciated.

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If I understand your problem, you can't connect your PC to the cable modem in place of the Belkin router and access the internet though the PC. Did you cycle power to the cable modem after you removed the router? Usually this is necessary when you change the device connected to the modem.

He probably gave you the MAC address of the router -- 12 characters in the range of 0-9 and A-F. If cycling power to the cable modem doesn't work you may need to "spoof" the Belkin's MAC address in the Netgear router so the Netgear router reports the same address to the modem as the Belkin router is now reporting. Some ISPs set up their end to only talk to a specific device connected to the modem.

3. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    Is there a problem with the Belkin router?

If there are security settings set up on the router (wep, mac address filtering, pasword, ect), there should be a reset switch on the router.

Is there a reason you couldn't swap the netgear router for the belkin one?

pdhenry is right, sometimes you have to spoof the mac address with the one from the device that was connected to it during initial setup.

I tell people, even if you only have one device hooked up to the modem, still get a router. Gives you a little extra protection with NAT.

Now, do you have cable or DSL? DSL uses PPoE and needs a username/password entered into te modem. You would know if you have to install software in order to get online if you have the computer connected directed to the modem.

4. GTLYON13

GTLYON13 New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Grand...
    I have cable. The code he gave me is 26 characters long, so it can't be the MAC address. I don't mean to sound like a complete moron, but I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'm assuming "cycling power to the cable modem" means to disconnect the power, then reconnect it. I have no idea what "spoofing the MAC address" means. I'm not the most computer-literate person in the world.

5. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

plug the new router into the cable modem, then pull the power on the cable modem. Wait 30 seconds and plug it back in

Most cable modems have a security feature; they link up to the first device they see and then won't let any other device through. Fortunately, they forget what this was when they lose power.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes - it just sounds like the first router is doing DHCP DNS info from the cable modem and then gives out IP addresses along with that for your local stuff. So take it off and power down everything. Add your router and then power up cable modem, then router and then the PC, check it for Internet access and then the TiVo DVR's will sort out the new info and update themselves over time or you can restart them.

7. GTLYON13

GTLYON13 New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Grand...
    Did what you said.....worked perfectly!!!!
    Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!

8. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Glad you got it to work.

Why did you need the second router?

Some wireless routers will let you turn off the wireless aspect of the router, if that was the reason.

9. GTLYON13

GTLYON13 New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Grand...
    For some unknown reason I couldn't get the Belkin to work with my Tivo.

10. Cabal

Cabal BSD User

Feb 21, 2007
    I think that's less of a security feature and more of a way to make it easier on the cable companies to only have one device connected and not need keep track of your MAC address for you. I was very glad when they did away with that nonsense ~5 years ago.

11. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    That 26 character was most likely encryption.

There should have been a reset button on the router to put it back to default (no encrypton).

Make sure you at least put a new username/password on the new router. Otherwise, it's usually admin for the username and no password, or no username and admin as the password.

As far as using MAC address filtering, encryption, and turning off broadcast SSID, might want to find someone in your area about it if the owners manual is to complcated to follow. Sometimes the guided setup works well if the router has one.

glad you're up and running.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The 26 Characters was the WEP Key, 128 - bit encryption.

10 Character WEP Key is 64 - bit encryption.