Router, NON-WiFi

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MScottC, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004

Advertisements

This isn't a TiVo issue, but this is one of the best group of people for tech questions I've come across, so I'll post here.

My home router has been crapping out on occasion, so I'm guessing it may soon be time to replace it. I do have Ubiqiti Wi-Fi access points located in my apartment, so I do NOT need a router with Wi-Fi capabilities. I just want a good router that has strong security and other features, but without wi-fi. I don't need a lot of ports, as I've got 8 Port GigE switches already in the mix. My current Comcast download speed is in the 150-200 MBps range, so GigE ports are needed. I'd love to hear suggestions.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All my Netgear routers have the ability to disable their transceivers. Find something cheap on Amazon or eBay.

As such, for the R8300 wirelessoff.png

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    So you're looking for a cable modem?

4. MScottC

Sep 11, 2004
    No, not looking for a cablemodem... just a really good router that doesn't include the cost of wi-fi circuitry.

ke3ju likes this.
  5. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH

Advertisements

Ubiquiti ER-X?

(And I’ve got a USG-3 around if interested in that)

6. mmmm_beer

mmmm_beer Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    For non-Wifi routers, I would suggest either the Ubiquity EdgeRouter(X, 3lite or 4) or the Mikrotik RB750gr3. The Mikrotik will be the most configurable but it does require some networking knowledge to configure. The Edgerouter X will be the cheapest, the other EdgeRouters will cost more and give better performance, but all are easy to configure. I personally went with the Mikrotik.

7. MScottC

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks... I'm pretty sure I'll go with one of these... My current router hasn't died, but if it craps out again, I'll pull the plug on this.