Router gateway not recognized

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JB1106, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JB1106

JB1106 New Member

Jun 15, 2019

Advertisements

I've seen a few posts regarding issues with the router gateway not being recognized or configured properly but none that seem to address my particular issue. I installed a new router about a year ago and everything has been working fine with my Tivo service since that time. Two days ago I noticed that my Tivo Premier Series 4 box was no longer communicating with the Tivo service. There have been no changes to my home network, router configuration or gateway address. I attempted numerous times to go through the manual configuration process without success. If I attempt to allow auto DHCP the process fails. I then tried configuring using a static address and then the error I get is gateway not found. It seems obvious to me that the DHCP failure must be related to the gateway not being recognized. For some reason the Tivo box no longer thinks 192.168.1.1 is my proper gateway address. I can log directly into my home router using that address so I know it is correct and everything else in my home network is functioning properly. On top of this, I am now stuck in the loop of configuring my Tivo DVR and I can't get out of it despite numerous reboots. Can anyone provide any insight into the problem of the gateway address no longer being recognized? Is my box just going bad and I should just replace it? Also, any advice on how to get out of the loop of configuring my network connection? The system won't let me return to the main menu or do anything other than go through the process of attempting to configure the connection despite numerous reboots. Thanks.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Missing info #1 how are you connecting the Tivo to the router?
    Useful troubleshooting step, connecting something else to the network via the connection you used above and see if it works.

Your description sounds as if the Tivo is not connected to the network, that would explain lack of DHCP and it not seeing the network when you manually enter the GW address.

3. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Also, try rebooting everything: Modem, router, TiVo.

I know what you're thinking: "Everything else on the network is working fine, so why should I have to reboot the modem & router?" Because WiFi is weird.

4. JB1106

JB1106 New Member

Jun 15, 2019
    The Tivo is hard wired via Ethernet to the router. Good suggestion though to try connecting something else through that same cable. Thank you.

5. JB1106

JB1106 New Member

Jun 15, 2019

Advertisements

Everything has been rebooted multiple times. Tivo box still does not recognize the gateway.

6. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Bummer.

Try a different Ethernet cable. If that doesn't work, you might consider trying a wireless adapter before shelling out for a new TiVo...

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I strongly suggest that you power off everything on your network, not rebooting..... Because if there are some errors in the devices somewhere that will survive a reboot.

Power back on each device starting with the modem, router, on to other devices after each have become operational again.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What does it think your gateway address should be? See the Network Troubleshooting display:
    NetSet_LI.jpg
    I guess if you can't get that far, you are in deep dodo.

9. plantsower

plantsower Member

Dec 24, 2003
    CA
    I'm having the same exact problem. Did you find a fix?