1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roseanne (2018 revival) Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mar 27, 2018 #1 of 468
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Season Ten of Roseanne on ABC.

I thought it was a good return. "I dreamed you died, Dan". Same old jokes, updated for 2018. And somehow they're still funny.

"I'm not gay!"

aaronwt and kar74 like this.
  2. Mar 28, 2018 #2 of 468
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    So, if I understand correctly.... Although most people interpreted the last episode of the original show as suggesting the whole of the show was the book that Roseanne was writing, they're now suggesting that only the latter seasons of the show were the book? *shrug* Ok, whatever.

I'm not sure about this new run. So far, there's a lack of energy to it. The jokes don't seem to "pop" like they once did. In particular, Roseanne and John Goodman just seem... tired... as they're delivering their lines.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. Mar 28, 2018 #3 of 468
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    OK, I'm glad it's back. Having said that:

1. Turn down the laugh-track.

2. The actors need to stop trying so hard. The principal cast from before has the chops--they don't have to prove it. Take where you are and dial it back 20%. (I also think that the performances can be rounded out some, the acting edges still are a bit rough--I think that this will come with time, and/or additional rehearsal.)

3. The writing, IMHO, is a level below the original series. Hopefully, that will round out with time as well. Right now, some of it lands and is great--and some of it plops down.

4. The characterizations, my biggest concern, as this was the soul of the original: Roseanne and Dan never were stupid or ignorant--they had their views, which had a basis, and they sometimes learned and/or evolved, along a path. In the reboot, however, it at times feels as if the characters were sent to "sitcom school" and given an aspect of the stereotypical sitcom views as to topics. I mean, would Dan (or Roseanne) really not know what potpourri is and eat it? Likewise, the storyline as to surrogacy--would Roseanne really have been so black-and-white on it in the original? And does Jackie need to be made into such a broad character? Granted, she could be broad in the original, but her humanity also would come through.

Drop this stereotypical aspect and return to the full internal soul of the characters--this is why we enjoyed them so much, as real people. We don't need or want "Mork and Mindy" here.

I remain optimistic--with time.

4. Mar 28, 2018 #4 of 468
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    As they announced at the beginning of the episodes, "Roseanne is filmed before a live studio audience."

And maybe I'm biased, but I actually thought the audience was actually *too* muted, like they were a little bored as well.

5. Mar 28, 2018 #5 of 468
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Coincidentally, my local ABC affiliate, which has been broadcasting the "Roseanne" reruns, had the last and first episodes on tonight, immediately before the reboot. An interesting contrast--essentially, 3 different generations of the show.

The final episode, as I understood it, "clarified" (lol) that the entirety of the series, minus the final year, occurred as we saw; it was then that Dan died and the final year (with the silly lottery-win angle) minus the conclusion of the series (the last 10 minutes or so) were the figment of Rosanne's mind as she wrote her book about the family, as a way to deal with her grief.

With the reboot, "Roseanne" did what it tends to do (think of the Becky's): it simply wrote that final year and angle out of existence with a line of comedy and jokes at the reboot's opening.

Agreed as to the tiredness factor--I felt it as well. It almost felt like Roseanne and John needed to be sent on a week's vacation and then start the reboot. I know that we've all gotten older, but I also think that those 2 are more talented than we saw--perhaps greater directorial handling could assist.

6. Mar 28, 2018 #6 of 468
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Really, that was a live audience? Quit tweaking the mikes, then, or quit juicing the audience up--it really felt/sounded like a laugh-track to me! ;)

Maybe we should have watched in the same room--between the 2 of us, the audience would have "averaged-out" . . . . ;)

7. Mar 28, 2018 #7 of 468
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    [​IMG]

7thton, aaronwt and VegasVic like this.
  8. Mar 28, 2018 #8 of 468
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I try not to overthink TV shows, especially comedies. I laughed some. There were some good one liners. I'll keep watching.

aaronwt likes this.
  9. Mar 28, 2018 #9 of 468
    pgogborn

pgogborn Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2002

Filmed before a live studio audience doesn't mean a laugh track wasn't used.

But has anything ever been filmed before a dead studio audience?

Tony_T likes this.
  10. Mar 28, 2018 #10 of 468
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Did they mention the chairlift on the stairs that magically appeared in episode 2? Other than Jackie mentioning Roseanne's bad knee in episode 1?

Was wondering how they were going to handle Jerry on this show, since he was just an infant on the original run. Honestly I forgot about him till I saw him on a rerun a few weeks ago.Also Jackies son Andy? both would be in their mid 20's.

Lecy (Becky) was always my least favorite character on this show, that hasn't changed.

Darlene "I'm not gay" had me cracking up.

11. Mar 28, 2018 #11 of 468
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Many good on point comments.

Perhaps tweaking will work, but I saw the show as not fixable. Roseanne, Dan, and Jackie might have worked middle aged, but now they seem as others have said; tired, over the top, and really not that funny. And the rest of the cast added nothing.

Season pass canceled.

12. Mar 28, 2018 #12 of 468
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Not great.

As for the potpourri. Dan may not know what it is. Roseanne could have been tweaking him with the milk comment.

13. Mar 28, 2018 #13 of 468
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought it was wonderful and I was really happy they aired 2 episodes back to back to kick it off.

Towards the end of the hour I thought OMG this could just go on all night and I would be content to just keep watching.

I thought the first episode - JUST like Will & Grace - they were finding their footing, but for me - most definitely still had it.

I was DE-lighted.

aaronwt likes this.
  14. Mar 28, 2018 #14 of 468
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    The announcement actually said "Roseanne is taped before a live studio audience". Not trying to correct you, but it jumped out at me when I heard it. I assumed it's being shot digitally and would have expected to hear something like "recorded".

15. Mar 28, 2018 #15 of 468
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I enjoyed it. Made me laugh, lots of great lines. Exactly what I want from my sitcoms.

16. Mar 28, 2018 #16 of 468
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I liked it. I laughed. I cried.

No, I didn't cry but I did laugh quite a bit. Especially with Roseanne and Jackie's Trump/Hillary barbs.

17. Mar 28, 2018 #17 of 468
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I thought it was good enough to keep watching. Roseanne and John Goodman were on Howard Stern's show and they said all shows this season have been completed. So any suggestions for changes are already too late.

aaronwt likes this.
  18. Mar 28, 2018 #18 of 468
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I thought it was pretty funny, but I never watched the show during its original run, so I had nothing to compare it to.

19. Mar 28, 2018 #19 of 468
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    No, Dan wasn’t that stupid. He may have joked about eating it, but he wouldn’t have actually done it.

vman41 and Mikeguy like this.
  20. Mar 28, 2018 #20 of 468
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I thought it got a little better in the 2nd half hour. At the beginning, they were trying the same dynamic between Becky and Darlene as when they were teenagers. That doesn’t work when they’re both almost middle-aged women.

It still doesn’t feel natural yet. Like they’re just saying their lines instead of acting them. Especially
    Laurie Metcalf.

I didn’t realize Sarah Chalke was so tall.

There’s only 9 eps left. I’ll probably watch them.

aaronwt and Mikeguy like this.