1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romio OTA and My RV - No Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by comandercody33, Oct 23, 2018.

1. comandercody33

comandercody33 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Recently put my Romio OTA TiVo, with lifetime service, in my RV. Before hooking up the TiVo, I could navigate through the TV menu and select “scan channels” from the menu and the RV TV would search for local OTA channels wherever we were parked. And they looked good, most in hi-def. So, I thought all I needed to do was unscrew the coax cable form the back of the RV TV and screw it into the TiVo, repeat guided setup, choose antenna only and bam, I would be recording Seinfeld in no time. But, nope, that did’nt happen. The RV TV has an HDMI output, I made sure that was good because I could see the TiVo menu, just no live tv. When I unplugged the coax from the TiVo back into the back of the TV, bam, live tv from the antenna. What gives??

PS- I have an internet connection to the TiVo via my Verizon hotspot.

Any advice appreciated.

2. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Two questions:
    1. Did you try repeating guided setup once you got to the TiVo connected to the coax & RV TV? Sometimes a scan alone isn't enough and it needs to go through the whole setup ritual to display channels in a new area.
    2. What's on the other end of that Coax? An actual antenna, or is it a line from the RV park?

3. comandercody33

Nov 8, 2017
    I did repeat guided setup, being sure to select antenna only. I will try again when I get back to the RV the end of this week.

Also, the other end of the coax is attached to the antenna on top of the RV. That is how the regular tv gets its channels.

4. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Another thing that comes to mind is the guide might have picked up a bunch of garbage channels you can't actually receive. Make sure you set it up with the zip code of where you actually are and flip through the channels in the signal-meter menu (I don't remember where exactly, but it's buried in the TiVo settings). I basically live in the woods and my Tivo sees multiple "copies" of 2-1 from different transmitters, only one of which I can actually tune to. I have to delete the extras.

5. comandercody33

Nov 8, 2017
    Great suggestion. I forgot to mention that it does not find any channels, and the signal meter (tone) is not toning. Like there are no channels available, however, when I unscrew the coax from the TiVo and screw it back into the tv, there is live tv.

6. comandercody33

Nov 8, 2017
    Under Settings —>Channel Settings —>Antenna Signal Strength there is “No Signal” or tone when changing channels. An “Antenna Scan” finds no channels. But if I unscrew the coax from the TiVo and screw back into the TV, I have live tv. I have repeated guided setup twice now, being sure to choose antenna only.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Do you have a house? Do you have a friend with a house and an antenna? Take the TiVo out of the RV and connect it to an antenna anywhere. It sounds like the TiVo is broken.

Calling TiVo for support with a bad TiVo in an RV might be a bad idea.

8. KennethK

KennethK New Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Some RV's have built in amps on the coax line. You should bypass the RV's wiring and run your own coax to the antenna as a test. I had a similar problem installing a satellite dish and found an amplifier behind the plate where the coax was coming out.

9. comandercody33

Nov 8, 2017
    So I hooked up a cheap OTA antenna to the TiVo and attached it to the window of the RV. Re-ran guided set up and scanned for channels. Nothing. Opened up the TiVo and noticed the little metal box(for lack of a better word) had come away from the motherboard where the Coax post is. And it looks like the metal solder has come away from the motherboard?

TiVo coax post

I hope I did the picture link correctly, please
    Let me know.

Thank you.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You really need a new Bolt. I see no reason to tell TiVo your Roamio is in an RV and you opened the case.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003