Romeo OTA hard drive replacement HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by BDD, Feb 16, 2021.

1. BDD

BDD New Member

Feb 16, 2021

Advertisements

Help with new hard drive in Romeo OTA? Original 500G drive went bad. Replacing with Seagate 1TB ST1000VM002 video drive. I have Zero written the drive, followed the HOWTO on this forum. I have tried to use MSFR1004 only to end in an error "this drive would have more than 1 media regions, which isn't supported at this time." When the Tivo starts up, initially I do see HD activity light. Next, begins guided setup, then hangs on "downloading info". I do not see HD activity during this process. I've let it go for an hour or more. How long does the new drive need to sit prior to being ready? Am I rushing it? I am starting over again, in case I've missed a step. I can't really be this difficult to change the drive, right? Isn't the tivo supposed to take care of the formatting? Maybe I'm missing a step? Any help appreciated.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It sounds like you're doing more than you should.
    I'd delete all the partitions on the 1TB drive so that it's completely empty, then put it in the Roamio and boot it up.

You didn't mention if you're using TE3 or TE4/Hydra, if you are using TE4 then it has some drives it won't use.

wizwor likes this.
  3. BDD

BDD New Member

Feb 16, 2021
    Tivo experience 3 I believe. The old drive is a Seagate ST3500414CS video drive. New drive is Seagate 1TB ST1000VM002 video drive.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Last time I replaced my drive, I took the new one out of the box and plugged it in. Like Diane said, sounds like your drive isn't really blank and may have some existing partitions. Wipe it clean and try again. You don't need MFSR tools on small drives like yours.

wizwor and dianebrat like this.
  5. BDD

BDD New Member

Feb 16, 2021

Advertisements

Trying again as I type, currently have the progress circle spinning on "getting info" (downloading..). Any idea how long that process lasts (fast internet/ethernet). And, shouldn't matter geographically where the tivo box is correct? It's my Dad's box that I'm troubleshooting at my house. I'm an OTA and three mini LUX owner myself. Really like to see this work then I can upgrade my personal box preemptively.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You haven't mentioned how it's getting to the internet, that might help us offer tips.

7. BDD

BDD New Member

Feb 16, 2021
    120Mbps download internet, have the OTA box plugged into the same network cable my Mini Lux normally
    plugs into.

dianebrat likes this.
  8. BDD

BDD New Member

Feb 16, 2021
    I'll elaborate on the network path. The OTA is plugged into a Asus gx-d1051/V2 gigabit switch which is plugged into a D-Link DGS-1024D gigabit switch which is plugged into my ASUS RT-AC3200 router.

9. BDD

BDD New Member

Feb 16, 2021
    Just looked at the real-time traffic monitor in my router, shows no activity, up or download. Circle still spinning on "getting info".
    I know for a fact, the connection is live, my mini works fine.

10. BDD

BDD New Member

Feb 16, 2021
    SOLVED! I walked away for several hours, seemed like the box was doing nothing. Upon my return, the box was ready for the next user interaction. So, long story short, give it time, a lot of time! The new drive is up and running and reports the correct new recording capacity! Glad I joined the forum!