Romeo OTA hard drive change

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SuziQ777, Aug 22, 2019.

1. SuziQ777

SuziQ777 New Member

Aug 22, 2019

Advertisements

I have a TiVo Romeo OTA DVR with lifetime subscription that was purchased new in Sept 2018. We have filled the hard drive and just found out the external expander is no longer available. Can the internal hard drive be replaced with a larger capacity drive? If so, what is the max capacity it can handle? Is there a brand and model that TiVo supports? Or what brand and model fits and is compatible. Also if so, do I loose everything that I have recorded or can it be transferred? I have a repair contract with an IT company. Is this something they can install? Do they need any operating system to install on the new drive? And any other info you may have that I might not have asked.
    Thank you in advance, God bless.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There are a few ways to upgrade storage space.

MFSTools 3.x can copy and expand all in 1 sequence, but can be time consuming.

You can download all shows that is not copy-protected to a PC/NAS with KMTTG/PyTivo and later can be transferred back on Pytivo. It would be better to keep the shows on a PC/Nas for long term storage and only transfer when you need to watch them.
    Passes can be copied wit KMTTG.

Roamio can self-format blank drives in moments, but it can only will do up to 3TB without help and up to 8TB with help with a PC and MSFR. It can also handle 10TB but its a bit complicated.

Recommended drives are WD Red (Example: WD40EFRX, 4TB, Amazon has for under $100 currently) . Its not recommended to use drives 7200+ RPM or most other drives like WD Black. These use more power then the supply can handle and produce more heat.

Avoid using Hydra//TE4/V21 (Tivo software) as its buggy. Revert to v20/TE3 for better results.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    The Western Digital purple line of drives are also a great choice for use in TiVo.

CodeButcher likes this.
  4. SuziQ777

SuziQ777 New Member

Aug 22, 2019

Advertisements

5. SuziQ777

SuziQ777 New Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Thank you. You said that I can upgrade to 3TB without help or 8 TB with help of pc and msgr. What is msfr and how hard is it to use? Will the firmest handle larger than 3TB?

6. SuziQ777

SuziQ777 New Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Dang spell correct! That should say what is msgr and should say will the firmware handle larger than 3TB. Thanks again.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    MFSR is a Windows program that will expand the drive which the Tivo left at 3TB and integrate the remaining space for full drive space usage. This only takes 5-10 min.

Using MFSR is starting over but with a fresh empty drive, whereas MFSTools copies the Tivo drive to the new larger one.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think you need to indicate those are threads that explain all the knowledge needed to change drives. :(

9. SuziQ777

SuziQ777 New Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Thank you to all. There are several different opinions that are confusing me. I looked at my settings for more info. I have series 5 with firmware version 21.9.1v14-846-6-846. With this additional info, what is the maximum size I can upgrade to and be able to move all my recordings? Plus, I’m not understanding how to do the transfer. My computer hard drive has only 500gb of free space. How do I transfer 1tb of data? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I’m used to adding hardware to a computer, but have never done a data transfer. I’ve always left that up to IT or Best Buy geek squad. I no longer have access to our IT.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I would go with MFS Tools 3.x, but you will have to hook up both drives to your computer at the same time to do the copy/expand. You can find instructions and the the main thread here,
    MFS Tools 3.2
    and the latest 3.3 version in this thread.
    DIY 10TB Roamio

The initial copy/expand can take you up to 4TB in one step. With the 3.3 version and some additional steps you could go up to 10TB. It takes some reading...

11. SuziQ777

SuziQ777 New Member

Aug 22, 2019

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Adding: You can always add a hard drive to your computer, internally or externally. There is also some NAS (Network Attached Storage).

Tivo itself stores shows in its own special way, but when you transfer/copy shows, its converted to a file format (either MPG or MP4, in an encoded .TiVo format.)